CHAPTER 2

It was the second day after Summer vacation at school.

 Pentaville High School had high walls, it had seen both the World Wars, and still stood. The people who graduate from this school usually took up jobs solely in the town,  very few had the fortune to explore other options. One of them was Mr. Mathew George Pentaville, Lily's father. He completed his Ph.D. in Social Work from Michigan University and returned to his home town, along he brought one more possession for the town; Lily's mom. Both of them set out their journey to expand the town, established the first cargo service, started an old age home, a women-friendly help desk, a voluntary center; where people of all ages could spend their time helping aged people. 

"Mr. D'souz won't set us free until we give him an explanation", said Nance with a sigh.

"Then, let's give him one", said Lily with a tone of disappointment.

"Are u sure Lil ?" asked Techna.

" Yes Tech" Lily slightly turned to her right to see Ms. Rebecca heading towards them and said, "looks like  Ms. Rebecca has something for us."

"Girls the H.M wants you now, in his cabin; hope you have got an explanation for yesterday's incident?"

"Yes", replied Lily. Nance and Techna could do nothing but nod as they agreed with her.

The three stood no longer and headed straight toward the cabin of Mr. Gabriel D'souz; the Head of Pentaville High School. He had been the Head for the last three decades, to say the students see him as 'Zeus', but he was kind and always wished good for the school. Mr. D'souz was fond of Lily; as Lily's father was his former student and one of his dearest.

"Mr. D'souz , may we come in?", it was Lily;  only Lily had the courage to enter his 'den'; that's what the students call his cabin:'the den'.

"Yes", said an elderly voice, yet filled with sovereignty.

The three of them lined up in front of him with compliance. Techna struggled to hide her terror, Nance was about to pass away, even Lily had slight fear but she hid it with her charming smile.

"Could the three of you explain to me what happened yesterday evening while you were leaving the school, what did you see, whom exactly did you see, and why did you", pointed to Techna, "press the emergency alert".

Lily was the first to answer, " Sir, we were the last to leave yesterday; we left our class and was heading to the front gate, just as we passed the corner of the security room, we heard someone trying to open the door. Nance was the first to see the person, isn't it right Nance?", Lily turned to face Nance.

"Yes sir, I saw a man, about 5'4 feet tall; he was wearing a mask, so couldn't make out his face. He was definitely trying to break into the security room." Nance finished her part by making an appealing face. 

"Are you sure he was not one of the staff."Asked Mr. D'souz.

"Sir , why would any staff wear a mask ?", asked Lily with a slight touch of embarrassment, wondering whether the words that came out her mouth didn't offend him.

The Head looked quite pleased with her question.

Finally, Techna decided to speak, "Sir, I set the emergency alert as I  saw he was having a pistol with him; it hung from his bag. After seeing us he tried to take out his pistol, but as the alarm went on, he ran away through the other end of the corridor and probably out to the street, as the gates were open ."

Techna's part too was over and now the three waited for their Head to speak.

"Looks like you girls were the only witness, to what took place yesterday."

Lily was curious to know more and asked, " Sir, did anything go missing ?"

The Head turned pale, "Yes", he said with a sigh, " The Warrior's Cup". 

Lily, Nance, and  Techna exchanged a look of bafflement.

'The Warrior's Cup ' was the greatest possession of the school. It was gifted to the school by The Queen of England, for winning the greatest championship that took place three decades ago. Now it was gone.

"Girls, this should be kept top-secret, no students should know about this. You can leave now, just as I told, be quiet with 'this' topic outside."

Three of them left the cabin with more uncertainty than they expected. 

"Was it the man that we saw yesterday?", asked Techna.

" Can be", replied Nance.

"Or maybe not", said Lily and turned to face the two.

The main bell rang and the three entered their class. They had to wait till the interim to utter a word about the missing  'Warrior's Cup' and the 'stranger', who tried to break into the security room.

________

*note: The Head here is the school Principal / Head Master.