CHAPTER 8

The night passed gently. Lily didn't sleep so did Techna and Nance.

The morning turned out to be as usual. Aunt Roslina, busy with her household chores, uncle was having breakfast, Peter was sleeping; Andy and John were getting ready for school.

Lily sat at the table to have breakfast.

" Did the police find anything, uncle?", Lily asked biting a piece of her cheesecake.

" Yes Lil, they have made some progress, looks like they found out who was behind it ", uncle said with his usual self tone.

" They did?", Lily sounded surprised and equally afraid.

All of a sudden Mr. Andrew's phone starts ringing.

"Hello, who is it?", he took the phone and asked into it.

On the other end of the phone, the speaker kept talking for about two minutes or so. As each second passed uncle's face started showcasing varied expressions.

" What!! .. I will be there in five minutes", he sounded half dead.

"Lil I have to go, just say your aunt an urgent call came and I left ", uncle jumped out of his seat and took his files, and left the house.

Lily sat there dumbstruck,  and she called out to aunt Roslina," Rose.. an urgent call came and uncle left ." 

Roslina came to see what happened and asked," Did he finish breakfast?".

"No aunt .. bye I am leaving too", Lily said and left.

***

Techna joined Lily and they waited for Nance. 

" Have you got the slightest idea why Krist said all.... those things yesterday?", asked Techna.

"Nope .., not even a clue". Lily gazed across the street at the old Sugar Maple that looked gorgeous with its burgundy-colored leaves.

Nance arrived after two minutes.

"Have you been waiting for long ?", asked Nance.

" No .. she is beautiful", said Lily and the three started walking.

"Who?", asked Nance.

"The Maple" , shrugged Lily.

"Oh...I thought you were speaking of Tech", Nance laughed.

" Tech .. beautiful ?", Lily too burst into laughter.

"Not so funny guys ", Techna smacked Nance and said.

The three continued their walk.

*******

Nothing was different that day, the band was busy so was the basketball team. Lily, Techna, and Nance headed to their class just as they did yesterday. They wanted to see Krist, though they didn't know why.

Lily entered the class followed by Techna and Nance. Krist was not there.

"He didn't reach ", mentioned Techna.

Lily felt scared,  she sensed something was wrong. That feeling increased when she didn't find Krist in the class.

About ten minutes passed and Krist still didn't come.

Mrs. Lawrence entered the class, Lily kept on staring at the door but no one came. Krist didn't come. As each second passed her heartbeat kept on rising.

" Students, I have to inform you a thing", Mrs. Lawrence paused.

The whole class turned their attention to her. Techna and Nance stared at each other. Lily was trembling inside.

" Krist has left school, in fact, he and his dad has left the town. You all might have heard about the theft that took place at school, I know you don't know much; but an investigation has been going on and it leads to the man, whom Krist said was his dad, the newly appointed Head Postal Officer. The reports say he was not the real Head P.O, he was a scam and the real man claiming to be the Head P.O came in today morning. The records which Krist submitted to the school too are fake."

The class sat mouth wide open. The words of Mrs. Lawrence came like a 'bolt from the blue'.

"Looks like Krist is a fraud too, I don't want to hear anyone discussing this", said Mrs. Lawrence.

There came a knock on the door, all the students shifted their eyes on to it. Somewhere in their minds, they remember Krist knocking on the same door and entering their class. Lily in her heart desired it was Krist who would come in and prove all that she heard about him were blunders.

But 'no', it was a school staff. " Mrs. Lawrence, the Head wants to meet you, now", he said.

" OK, I will be there ", said Mrs. Lawrence.

"Class go on with your work and I'll be back within few minutes", the teacher left.

The moment the door closed the class turned violent. Each and everyone except Lily started to speak. Lily could hear all the sought of things her friends saying.

Techna and Nance kept quiet and looked at Lily.

All the words that Krist said yesterday was as fake as he was. But the words he said coming close to Lily that had faith in it, at least Lily believes so.

' I'll be long gone before you open your eyes ... Please don't turn away when you hear my flaws'

These words kept playing in Lily's mind like a song on loop.

____________

TO BE CONTINUED...