VM: Two states - Part 6

Meenakshi boarded the bus.Keeping her luggage on the overhead compartment,she settled into her seat near the window.She called up and informed her family that she was coming.

The day's incident reeled before her eyes once again.She wiped the tears from the corner of her eyes.Tired of all the mental stress,she closed her eyes to get some sleep.Soon the bus departed.

It was midnight when it stopped at a remote area for a short break.Disturbed by the noise outside,she woke up.

Meenakshi saw an eatery which seemed shabby like a place where local drunkards dwelled.Fear crept up in her.She looked around inside the bus and except for two ladies,the rest were men.There were no families and it increased the fear in her.

She was thirsty but was too scared to even get down to buy a bottle of water.Wrapping herself with a shawl,she leaned against the window praying in her heart to reach her place safely.

A hefty looking drunkard boarded the bus.Seeing the seat beside her vacant,he slumped heavily on it.

"Hi pappaaa,travelling alone?"

Panic ratcheted up in her.She couldn't run away also as he had his leg stretched blocking her path.Ignoring him,she shut her eyes pretending to be asleep.

She could feel the stench of liquor getting stronger and snapped her eyes open only to find the pervert trying to get close to her.She slipped her hand into her purse reaching out for the pepper spray but before she could spritz it on the rogue's face,a hand with extra long fingers came in between her and the fella as a barrier.

V: Hello uncle!May I come in?😃

The guy looked up and saw Vicky

"What ra,who are you?What do you want?"

V: Uncle,I'm also travelling alone.I'm sitting behind and there is a seat vacant next to mine.Don't trouble ladies.You come here.We can talk.

"No I won't come...she wants me to keep her company.Right pappaa?"

He grinned at Meenakshi.She turned her face away in disgust seeing his yellow teeth.Vicky rolled his sleeves up and gave one hard knock on his head and the fella saw stars.Grabbing him by the collar,Vicky punched him on his stomach and pushed him out of the bus.Picking himself up,he ran away.

Taking his backpack,Vicky shifted infront occupying the seat beside her.Deep down she felt relieved seeing him but didn't show it on her face and shot daggers at him.

V: Don't look at me like that!It was nanna who sent me because he was worried you were going alone.Once I drop you off safely at your doorstep,I will leave and after that you won't see or hear from me or my folks.I Promise.

She got up.

V: You want to sit elsewhere?Fine...go...If that uncle returns to harass you I'm not responsi...