Chapter 4 : The one who slept behind the waterfall

A few months passed again... Mercy and Asara had become best friends. Sometimes Mercy's illness would manifest itself and force her to stay and inside in the palace to rest, but nothing serious has happened yet. One day, the two little girls made themselves friendship bracelets out of beads, strings, and cloth. It had their two first names next to each other and the words "Best Friends" written on them. They both liked the bracelets so much that they had them on their wrists every day and only took them off when they were washing or sleeping. They were inseparable, and you rarely saw one without the other: Asara seemed so happy to finally have a human friend like her, and Mercy, who had never had a real friend at the orphanage, was so happy too.

The two girls loved to play together at Waterfall, just like Chara and Asriel did when they were younger. Running snail races with Napstablook, telling Echo Flowers jokes to be repeated over and over again, rolling around in the tall grass, looking for treasures in the garbage dump... they loved this place and would go and play there whenever they had the chance. The dump, in particular, was a goldmine for the monsters and the girls: there was everything from coolers full of freeze-dried food to manga and DVDs, old clothes, and tons of packaging. As to how so much garbage ended up here, the monsters thought it was humans who dumped the stuff into the river, which carried the garbage to Waterfall, where the monsters collected it.

From time to time, the endless flow of water brought a cascade of waste, which was tossed by the currents, ended up falling into the depths of the abyss, swept into the lightless abyss, fascinating. Watching this endless cycle of waste... it filled the girls with determination.

Waterfall was also a very interesting place, where large stone panels are written after the war that told the story of the monsters, a story that Asara knew by heart, and which she had taught to Mercy. Mercy was very interested in this story, and her curiosity had led her to interview all the monsters she could find to found out more. Until Asara asked the girl:

Asara: Say, Mercy... what color is your soul?

Mercy: Oh... well... it's a special kind of soul, she's lilac. The Curiosity soul... because of its powers, I can know the weak points of the enemies instantly, and when I fight... my soul can only move on three vertical columns.

Asara: But... how do you know? Have you ever fought before?

Mercy: On the surface, our souls are examined by doctors from the moment we are born. We have a lot of books that cover all types of human souls and their different properties... I've never personally fought a single battle, but I trust what I've learned in the books about my soul... And what soul do you have, Asara?

Asara: It's... complicated. My soul doesn't appear in any book, since... it's a hybrid soul. The soul of love... a mixture of a human soul and a monster soul. I am the daughter of a monster and a human, after all.

Mercy: That's right! Wow, you must be super special, then! You're the child of the daughter of legend and the prince of monsters! You know, if you came to the surface, I'm sure you'd be seen as a miracle up there, you know? The first child born of a monster and a human!

Asara: Oh... well... I... I don't know if I would appreciate being "special", you know... no matter what color our souls are, we are all unique and worthy of being appreciated! Whether my soul is blue, green, yellow, purple or orange, it doesn't matter, for me, we're all the same!

Mercy: Oh... yeah, you're probably right. I'm really happy to be here, you know... everyone's really nice, much nicer than the people I knew at the orphanage.

Asara seemed to hesitate the moment her friend mentioned the surface. She was dying to ask him a difficult question...

Asara: Say... do you... miss the surface much, Mercy?