Chapter 6 : Confrontation at the heart of the CORE

The two humans continued on their way, without a single regret for the poor Gerson whom they had just killed without hesitation. Neither of them had any feelings, and Frisk did not consider Nemesis as his friend. After all, Nemesis had only the hatred of that half-soul that kept her alive, that half-soul that wasn't hers, that soul manipulated her, that made her blindly go forward, knife in hand, and hit everyone in her path. Why on earth would Frisk befriend a corpse?

Nemesis was but the pure product of the hatred of another human and the corpse of the once adopted sister and best friend of Asara. She was just a tool for Frisk, a mere means to an end, and Frisk already knew that he would get rid of her after he had reduced the rest of the Underground to dust. What's the point of keeping a corpse that would be of no use to him after that? He would only have to take the half of her soul back and leave her to rot in this useless cave. After all, using Nemesis as a shield had proved to be particularly effective in triumphing over the captain of the Royal Guard, but Frisk was also aware that it was risky; if the part of his soul placed in Nemesis was broken, he could be seriously injured... or even die.

The way to Hotland was particularly long and boring. Indeed, Gaster had turned on the security systems to delay the two humans and have more time ahead of him to evacuate the monsters. Even though the humans always got through eventually, every second that went by was another life saved. The monsters, seeing the humans, would rather run away than fight. After all, news of Gerson's death had spread like wildfire throughout the kingdom, and the worried monsters realized that they had no chance of staying alive against the murderous humans. Their knives had already taken countless lives... and only the most powerful beings in the kingdom could stop them now.

Staying at the New Home Palace, Asriel gave the monsters orders, taking them down the elevator to the True Lab where Gaster, his wife, and daughter waited with the other survivors. Little Asara hid, frightened, in the arms of her grandparents, Asgore and Toriel, who did their best to calm her worries. The two former leaders of the Underground were too old and tired to fight against the humans, and all their hopes rested on their children, Asriel and Chara, and Dr. Gaster too.

From their screens, the monsters could see Frisk and Nemesis advancing through Hotland, slowly but surely. The exit of the area was reached, and the two humans arrived in front of a place, with a large fountain, which represented a small goat, hugging a small human who was smiling, and looking at it with great kindness. The inscription read: "Royal Fountain of the year 201X. Prince Asriel and the human Chara."

Frisk had smiled maliciously at the sight of the two statues. He looked madly at the one who would soon be his next victim... Asriel, the king of monsters, and Chara, the human of legend... ...if he killed them, his power would reach its peak! Their LOVE grew stronger with each kill, and that power bubbled up inside him. His determination, evil and corrupted, his lust for power, all of this blinded him more and more. Frisk was thinking that they will absolutely kill all the inhabitants of the Underground...

The only problem was Chara. After all, Chara was human, just like him. Chara could fight, and would never let Frisk rip her soul out. Even if she died, she could always come back to reload her save... because Chara was the most determined being in the Underground, and Frisk couldn't overcome her determination unless he killed her once for good.

In front of Frisk and Nemesis laid the entrance to the CORE. The end was near, they would just have to kill all the monsters in the area, pass all the traps and go to the castle where the kings lived. But Gaster had another plan in mind... What he'd need to do was collect data on the notorious black soul, even if it meant getting do this by himself. After all, even though Gaster didn't get a chance to fight often, he had a whole arsenal of deadly attacks at his disposal. All he would have to do would be to simply pop up and steal a few drops of this genocidal human's determination before escaping... or try to kill them himself, directly.