Chapter thirty

Does he know that we bleed the same?
Don't wanna cry, but I break that way
— — —
1 month later:

Latakia, Syria. That is where me and Elisa escaped too. We both needed to get away for two very different reasons. She had completed the mission in Sicily and was waiting for everything to cool down so she could return home. No doubt that the whole of Sicily was going to search for the first lady's killer. Whilst I needed somewhere no one would mention him.

The Dagher brothers had been kind enough to offer us both a lodge here and a job. Elisa had been reluctant to accept but I pointed out that she needed to lay low right now.

I fix the thigh-length, red dress before applying a layer of red lipstick. The makeup artist had decided to do a minimal look tonight.  Nazari had important guests coming in that are interested in buying a new rocket launcher Nazari had created.

"You look stunning, Alexa" Aerin (Nazari's wife) compliments as she hands me the guest list and seating plan for tonight. Elisa had asked me to take her shift tonight as she didn't feel very well. I'm not convinced that is the reason at all but who was I to say anything.

She had taken my shifts in the last few weeks when I couldn't even find the strength to move. Which she was quick to point out when I said no originally.

The first week I had drunk all the alcohol is Zeke's private store- after Aerin gave me the passcode. I barely ate anything, I still didn't, and all I did was mope around in bed.

"Thank you Aerin for everything that you and Naz have done for us" I whisper as I tug on some black heels. She gives me a small nod before leaving the staff room. I check my hair over one more time before walking to the gates.

Men stare at me as I direct them to Nour (one of the hostesses). They try to flirt but I let them down easily with a laugh and a smile. Some of them even try and fuck me but I always say no even after my shift.

Even if he doesn't remember me, my husband is at home and that feels like a betrayal.

-- -- --

I link arms with Cassian as we enter the bar. He is Naz's spymaster in the gang, basically he knows everything and everyone. He orders a round of cocktails as I perch on one of the barstools. He slides it over to me with a flirty smile and I sip at the cold beverage.

"One cocktail for the pretty lady in the red" He chuckles as he drinks his own.

He knew that I wasn't interested in sleeping with him yet he still drank with me after my shift if he was available. Cassian was easy and fun to be around and in the few hours we were together he made me feel slightly better. It was easy to love him as a friend.

"Thank you Cassy" I tease as I pat his arm.

"Is that all I get? A pat on the shoulder" He smirks and I cuff him up the side of his head. He yelps and rubs the back of his head, "You fucking bitch".

I stick my tongue out at him and he wraps his arms around me. A low rumble vibrates against my chest as he chuckles.

As I open my mouth to respond, Naz and Aerin appear at the bar. Naz helps Aerin onto the stool before facing me, "Alexandria we have a visitor at the front desk that claims to know you. Do you want me to get security to escort them out".

"What do they look like?"

"Tall, messy blond hair. I don't know else to explain him" shrugs Aerin, "he seemed desperate to see you through".

I readjust the straps of my dress before getting to my feet. I stumble a little bit and Cassian catches me.

"Do you want me to come with you?" Cassy asks, righting my body so I was steady on my feet. I shake my head causing him to sigh and hand me something. He places a small blade in my hand and I stare up at him.

The corner of his lips tugs up into a smirk as he closes my hand around the handle of the weapon. I raise an eyebrow and he mutters, "If its one of Lombardo's men, give them hell and then come find me. I will make sure you and Elisa get somewhere safe".

"Thank you but I don't think Vince really cares where I am. He doesn't remember me or the last few months, remember?" I sigh with a small smile. He lets go of me before I stride across the resorts main bar and towards the entrance.

Where my childhood best friend was stood with an icy expression on his face.

"JAXON" I shriek as I run at him. He catches me in his arms and I wrap my legs around him- probably flashing everyone . In his arms, I let my walls down and burst into tears. He rubs my back as my body wracks with sobs.

"Va bene, principessa, sono qui" He mutters which only makes me cry harder.