1 - Baseball

Chapter Photo credits:@ vadimphoto1@gmail

@ vadimphoto1@gmail.com Depositphotos.com

Seventeen years ago...

Sloane Calhoun sat in the breakfast room with a bowl full of Cocoa Krispies. Her younger sister, Victoria had a bagel slathered with cream cheese. Teddy was still asleep. Their father was reading the Globe and because it was Saturday, he was dressed in shorts.

If it was a weekday, he would have been at his office already. He was an important man who ran Calhoun Construction Company. At times, Sloane feared him, but most often she sought his attention and approval.

Ted was the oldest and only boy, so he was special. He even had their father's name except Ted was the fourth. She was Sloane, the first, so she worked hard in school to get her father's approval.

Victoria was the baby who was always noticed as the cute one. Tori had their mother's blond hair while Sloane's hair was brunette. She hated that description because it sounded male like a brute. Even her eyes were not as blue as Tori's or as grey as Ted's.

Ted shuffled in looking half asleep. He grabbed her box of cereal. Sloane was about to complain because it belonged to her; she had requested it. She would have if it were a weekday and their father wasn't present, but she didn't want to receive his disapproval by fighting with her brother.

Edward Calhoun, The Third, put his paper down upon the arrival of his son. "Ted, you're coming to the game with me today."

Ted stopped his spoon midair and shook his head. Sloane watched hoping he'd get in trouble. "It's my day off." He had been working at construction sites all summer. "We've got plans. We're having a diving contest. Trey's the judge."

Sloane let out a snorty giggle, and Teddy glared at her. "The judge." She could hardly say the words with her laughter. Her father looked at her and she straightened up although she might have seen amusement in his eyes which didn't reach the rest of his face.

Their neighbor was a federal judge, and everyone called him the judge including his own sons. Ted had referred to Trey, the oldest Hayes boy, as the judge. His name was Richard, but he didn't like Rich or Rick or Dick and being the third, Trey fit. Because he was the oldest, Trey was the boss of the Hayes pool.

Edward looked at his son like he was crazy to give up a day with his father to spend it in the neighbor's pool.

Before her father could comment, Sloane heard her own voice. "I'll go with you, Daddy."

He turned to her. "Do you like baseball?"

She shrugged. "I want to."

He smiled. Ted was not as big a fan as their father. If Sloane learned about it and liked it, she would share something special with him.

"I wanna go too." Tori made her cute, impossible to say no to, face.

Sloane held her breath as her father's face softened. "Sorry sweet pea, but I only have two tickets."

Tori pouted and Sloane smiled. Ted ate her cereal and she no longer cared. Martina would buy more when she shopped next. Martina was their housekeeper who had worked for the family since before Sloane was born.

"Sloane, we'll leave at noon. The game starts at one. We can eat at the ballpark."

"I wanna eat at the ballpark too." Sloane hoped Tori didn't cry.

"Tori, you have Erica's birthday later." Sloane smiled. She hadn't realized her mother was listening, but Grace Calhoun had just saved the day.

"Oh! I forgot! I need to pick out a bathing suit!"

Tori jumped up, and before she could run out of the room, Grace stopped her.

"Plate to the kitchen. That's not the maid's job."

They also employed maids who helped with the cleaning. One came when Martina was off on weekends to keep things straight. She would clean the kitchen, but the Calhoun children were responsible to clear their own dishes.

Teddy stood up with his bowl. "I'll be at Hayes' all day."

Sloane was curious to see what she was missing. "Who's competing?"

"Everyone. Jon, Sage..."

"Tommy?" Victoria who was just leaving the kitchen as they entered overheard them.

"I guess." Ted shrugged.

At eleven, Tommy and Tori were playmates, but Tori had told her siblings she would marry him. Sloane liked Jonathan, but had goals that didn't include being a wife and mother.

Sitting in the front seat next to her father excited her. Her mother always made her ride in the back with Tori. They parked at one of the construction sites and walked. It wasn't a long walk. With her shorter legs, she had to walk fast to keep up. Eventually, he realized and slowed down. As the crowd became thicker, he took her hand. She couldn't remember the last time he held her hand and not Tori's.

The company had season tickets and her father normally brought clients or gave the tickets away. Occasionally father and son went, but never father and daughter.

Baseball was a new experience for her. She knew the basics — hit the ball, run the bases. What she didn't know about were the sights — people dressed in team shirts, green grass with white lines, and strong athletic men. The sounds were unfamiliar too — organ music, cheers, men yelling "Peanuts", and the crack of the bat. Then there were the smells — popcorn, sausages, and other foods mingled together.

Her father flagged down a hot dog vendor. He handed her a warm paper wrapped pink dog in a soft bun. She watched as her father bit into his. Never in her life had she seen him eat a hot dog. She had only eaten them at friend's houses and never really liked them, but this one was the best she ever tasted. She liked ballpark dogs. Her father turned to her and smiled. He had mustard on the corner of his mouth. She reached up with her napkin and wiped it.

"Thanks, my girl."

Sloane discovered baseball involved numbers and her father patiently explained them. She didn't know all the rules, but could figure them out.

At the end of the third inning, he stood and motioned for her to follow. He took her to the fan shop. "You need a cap if you're going to come to the games."

Her heart soared. He wanted to bring her again. Later, he let her eat Cracker Jack. Her mother would never allow it because Dr. Lesser, their Orthodontist, said no popcorn or sticky foods. Cracker Jack was both.

It was a warm day, and she felt sticky, but her father was sweating by the end of the game. Once they reached the car, he turned to her. "I think I'll take a swim before I get ready to go out this evening. What d'you say, my girl?"

She nodded and smiled from ear to ear. She had never swum with just him.

That night her parents went out and Teddy was in charge. When she went to bed, she decided it was the best day of her life. It didn't even matter that their team had lost.

Thanks for reading and voting ⭐️