24 - Burgers

They entered a loud restaurant with red vinyl booths and tables in the middle. On the wall was a signed picture of Ben. "Okay, you've stared at it long enough. Are you thinking of throwing darts?"

"No, I was wondering if anyone would notice if I stole it." She would love to have it in her bedroom so she could greet him every morning.

He laughed in a way he rarely did. "You are unbelievable. I can't figure you out."

"Once a fan, always a fan."

A middle-aged man with a big belly and a round, red face walked over to them. "Look what the cat's brought in. We thought you were too good for burgers. It's been too long, Lynch."

"I know Johnny. I wish I could say I've been busy." He held up his cast.

"You're gonna be fine though, aren't you? I had women crying when you went down."

It was then that Sloane noticed the televisions all around the room and the sports memorabilia everywhere. A lot of it was for North Hills Academy. Scanning the walls, she eyed some pictures of teenage Ben and Jett. There were a lot of Mr. Lynch and other boys.

"Yeah, once the cast is off, I'll be busy with rehab."

"I thought you'd be gone to Florida by now."

"Nope, the doctor is here. How's your supply holding up?"

"Fine. We've got plenty."

"Good cause I'm a little out of commission. So do you have a booth in a corner for us?"

"Who's your friend?"

"Oh right. Sloane, Johnny. He owns the place."

She smiled. "Nice to meet you. I hear you have the best burgers ever."

He laughed. "This kid thinks so."

Once they sat in the booth, she felt awkward. "So you wouldn't be here, if you hadn't broken your arm?"

He shrugged. "I used to go to Florida as soon as the season was over. Now that I have your condo, I'm planning to stay through the holidays."

"You need to be there in February, anyway." Spring training started in February and lasted through March. The regular season started at the first of April. She wasn't glad he broke his arm, but she was glad she could spend some time with him.

She opened the menu and laughed.

"What?" he asked.

"The Lynch challenge. Did you really eat this?"

The menu had a burger made with three one-half pound patties. It came loaded with fries and onion rings. Anyone who ordered it and ate it without help, received a signed picture of Ben like the one on the wall.

"I could eat as a teen."

"Too bad."

"What?"

"If I didn't have to wear my dress tomorrow, I would want to win a picture."

His mouth dropped open. "You couldn't eat a pound and a half of beef with all that fried food. I could hardly do it now."

"I could definitely try." She winked at him.

"You want a signed picture of me that badly?"

"I am a crazy fan. But don't think that's all it will take for me to forgive you completely."

"Right you have some unknown favor hanging over my head. I think you enjoy torturing me."

Tori would respond with something seductive, but Sloane wasn't her sister. Instead, she smiled. "Are you ordering french fries or onion rings?"