25 - Flames

Ben had been less anxious for his first major league start. That was the jitters, but this was worse. Inviting Sloane to dinner had been a mistake, especially when he almost kissed her in the car. He had wanted to have sex with her since Tex tried, but kissing was different. He didn't have to like a woman to want sex. In the dark car lit only from the light by her door, he felt like he had the day Kimmy had knocked. The difference was neither of them were kids. If he started, he wasn't sure he'd be able to stop.

Spending an evening with her in a sexy dress might just kill him. He even suggested to Jett the two couples go together. Unfortunately, his best friend had an excuse about a new babysitter and needing to have their own car in case they had to leave early.

Hopefully she wasn't expecting a hired car. He didn't trust himself in the backseat with her and was safer driving. Ben checked the mirror one last time and cursed. It never occurred to him the cast would prevent him from tying his tie. Putting his tie in his pocket, he didn't want to be late.

He parked behind her house and approached her door. There were two doorbells, and he didn't know which she was. When Ted appeared, he knew he pressed the wrong one.

"Ben! I heard you were taking my sister out. Do I need to threaten you to treat her right?" Ben laughed nervously.

Ted pointed to the other door and Ben knocked. Thankfully, Ted disappeared behind his own door. When the door opened, she appeared like a vision. She was wearing a silver dress that glimmered in the light. His eyes swept the length of her, not lingering too long on the places the fabric clung to her curves.

She smiled. "Black tie typically means a tie."

He pulled his tie out of his pocket and dangled it in front of her. "I have a bum hand."

Sloane laughed as she took it from him and stepped closer. Her scent was intoxicating, and he rarely drank. Her fingers brushed his neck as she lifted his collar. She sent sensations straight to his groin, and he stiffened. To steady himself, he put his hand on her hip. The minute his eyes met hers, he felt her heat and moved his hand as her skin had scorched it.

Intent on her task, she didn't notice as he studied her face. She had on makeup, but it was natural and hardly noticeable. Angela had the tendency to cake it. Her lips were a pale color that made them even more inviting than in the dark car. He'd be lucky if he made it through the night without tasting them. As she turned his collar back, her knuckles brushed under his chin. He felt the heat rise in his checks as he felt her straighten the tie with a tug.

"No need to feel embarrassed. My father has my mother tie his all the time." She smiled and ran her hand over his shoulder. "Lint."

He cleared his throat, hoping it would clear his brain. "Ready."

She nodded and stepped away to get her bag. He froze when he saw the back of her dress. There was nothing but skin from her neck all the way down. Any lower and her butt would be showing. How could she be wearing underwear? He muted that pressing question. "Won't you be cold?"

She shook her head. "I have a wrap." She attempted to put it around her until he stepped forward and lifted it onto her shoulders. She smiled at him. "Thank you."

Why did he think he didn't like her? Ben was in danger of liking her too much. He followed her out and opened the car door for her. It reminded him of the morning when he watched her friend help her into the car. He offered her his hand.

"Have you been running?"

Did she remember too? He shook his head. "Doctor's orders, no running. They have banished me to the bike."

"I don't have time to work out, but when I do, I use the elliptical."

Now he had the image of her in short shorts. "And you play tennis."