11 - Dressed up

Sloane saw pictures online of Ben with his girlfriend. She studied the picture and decided the woman was everything she wasn't. She had Ben's arms around her and his hand on her waist. Worst of all, she had curves like Tori. Why couldn't Sloane have taken after her mother too?

Sloane spent much too long looking at Ben. When she found an article to go along with the picture, she felt disappointment grow in the pit of her stomach. Kenzie led her to believe he wasn't serious, but according to the article, they were close to becoming engaged.

'The all star first baseman joked that he hadn't asked yet. Looks like it's only a matter of time until this eligible bachelor is off the market for good.'

For the first time in two years, she hoped the team would pick up a new player she could call her favorite, because her current favorite wasn't working out.

When she saw her phone screen lit up with his face, she answered it. Her brother never called when she was working. "Teddy, is everything okay?" She stood and walked away from her desk.

"I met your friend yesterday."

She entered the public space and stood by the elevator doors. "What friend?" She only had one or two Teddy didn't know, and Dom was with her.

"I played golf with your player."

"Golf! You hate golf!"

"It was a charity thing. He's only slightly better than me, but he was a lot of fun."

"Are you talking about Benjamin Lynch?"

"Yes." He drew out his one-word answer.

"He's an outstanding player and amazingly cute, but he is not fun."

"I thought he was. When I told him my sister was a crazy fan, he implied he has a bunch of them. Looks like you aren't unique."

Sloane didn't think he gave any others a ride in his car. "Did you tell him my name?"

"Not that I remember. I told him I had a waiting list for condos."

"He wants one of your condos?"

"That's what he said, but his chances are slimmer than slim."

She imagined Ben finding out she lived where he lived. He would accuse her of stalking him.

"Maybe. I don't know. Could you just offer him mine?"

"Why would you give up your condo for a guy who thinks you're crazy?" Teddy was close to yelling.

"You'll never understand. I love my team and its players. Doing him a favor makes me feel good, but I wouldn't want him to know it was me."

"How does he not know you're my sister?"

"He doesn't know my last name."

"I think you need to think it over, besides he may not even call. I need something more than him telling me on the putting green he's interested."

"I can find someplace else or stay at home."

"I'll let you know if I hear from him. Oh, and Sloane, I might know of an apartment."

"Really. I don't have to own. Where is it?"

"I'll have to let you know about that too."

Teddy sounded secretive, but it wasn't new. Ted shocked Sloane the first time he danced with Mia. She hadn't realized they were more than acquaintances. She loved Mia because she brought Teddy back. Did this new secret have anything to do with Mia, who lived next to Ted? Maybe he wanted Mia to give up her apartment. Sloane would love to live in the Victorian, not that she really lived anywhere but hotels.