21 - Macho pride

There was chaos all around him as the team celebrated clinching a wildcard spot. Nobody was thinking about the one elimination game they would have to win to reach the playoffs. Just being one of the top five teams in the league was worth celebrating. It took until their last game of the season, so tensions had been running high.

Meanwhile, Ben felt helpless, because he had been demoted to the role of cheerleader. He spent a few hours a day working out, but his routine was limited to lower body and abdominals. Free time was new for him, at least during baseball season. Kenzie kept inviting him over, but he could only watch the human tornado run around the house for so long. He couldn't speak to his sister without her mentioning Sloane. It didn't surprise him when Kenzie called him right after he had tried to apologize for being a jerk.

"I knew I was right!"

"About what?" She was normally right about everything, including whether her kid needed a new diaper. How could she and Jett talk about shit like that all day?

"Sloane. She told me about her family. You know she's perfect for you."

"Except I don't like her." He liked to look at her and had a mental list of things he could do with her given the opportunity, but Sloane Calhoun was not looking for a fling. She was too serious to want to fool around and say goodbye after he'd had his fill. It might take a long time before he became bored with those legs.

What did he know about her? She was a stranger. She liked baseball, hated kids, and worked hard. Maybe they had a few things in common. She was kind and stubborn. She would disagree with the former about him, but not the latter.

A few days following the celebration, their season ended in an overtime loss. Unable to help, Ben sat and watched his team give their best effort but still come up short. Another year was in the books. At least his numbers were good. His hitting average was better than the year before and as was his fielding percentage. He had every reason to feel proud, but ending the year on the IL was frustrating.

It was a somber flight back to Boston. The only thing left to do was clean their personal belongings out of their lockers. The team would disperse as each returned home. He and Jett were unusual since they called Boston home. Even when his living arrangements were temporary and he spent most of the past off seasons in Florida, home was still where his family was.

Ben felt at home more in his own place. He looked at his kitchen and was eager to start cooking again. His hand was less limited with his cast. He had use of his fingers, but he missed the freedom of the full use of his dominant hand.

He accepted an invitation from Jett the day after the team returned from their last loss. In some ways, Ben was ahead of Jett in adjusting to life without the daily grind of the game. Jett put in more preparation time than anyone. The difference was Jett had a wife and kids waiting to fill his time.

Ben had been trying to keep busy with his charity. He was sponsoring a baseball clinic for kids, but could only run the event. He couldn't help with the kids or sign autographs.

Kenzie teased him. "You don't even like kids."

"I don't hate them. I like the ones old enough to hit a ball."

Jett laughed. "As long as they only want to talk about baseball."

He had to be nice because Jett was saving the day by taking over the clinic with the help of a few other teammates. Unfortunately, he had to attend their events.

When he arrived at Jett's, his friend was alone. "Where's everyone?"

"Sean's napping. Maisy is at a friend's house, and Kenzie is shopping. The quiet won't last long." Ben nodded. "I was so damn tired and wanted the season to end, but now it has..."