37 - Spring Training

The following March...

Sloane leaned her head back against the headrest and sighed. She felt exhausted over the past five months she and Dom had been working nonstop. Their client list had grown, and they were talking about bringing on more employees. She was willing to wait for the right candidate.

"Drink?" The flight attendant asked her seat companion.

She opened her eyes so the attendant wouldn't skip her. She'd love a proper drink, but what she needed was a nap. She ordered a glass of wine and looked out the window, hoping the boredom would lure her to sleep.

"Going home?" Her seat mate asked after sipping his drink. She shook her head. He looked at her and his eyes paused briefly on her attire before focusing on her legs. "Vacation?"

"I'm tired and was hoping for a nap." She finished her wine and popped her earbuds in before shutting her eyes.

She woke to the dinging sound as the fasten seatbelts sign lit up. She could feel the plane decelerating and descending. The attendant came through the first-class cabin. The repetition of procedures flight after flight calmed her. It was ironic how after changing jobs, she traveled every weekend again. As soon as it was safe to do so she was out of her seat.

Sloane knew the routine and by-passed baggage claim and headed straight for the curb with her carry on luggage. As she exited the secured area, she smiled. Standing with a small group of people was the sexiest man alive. Every time she saw him, he was in better shape. The last time he had to work so hard in spring training was when he was trying to make it onto the major league roster.

He held a goofy sign with her name on it, like a limo driver. She thought he was awfully brave. Although in Florida, he was not noticed as much, but she had just stepped off a flight from Boston. Some passengers might have flown down to catch spring training games. She saw a number seven shirt when she was waiting at the gate. She wouldn't tell Ben she saw three with Jett's name.

Sloane approached him and looked at his scribble. She stopped dead in her tracks. He had a nauseous look on his face, which made her laugh.

"Do you mean it?" He nodded up and down, and she loved how he felt nervous. He should know there was only one answer to his question. "Yes. Of course, yes!"

Sloane flung herself into his arms. She missed him while she was home working. Living in the condo without him was hard. She kept reminding herself to get used to it, because he had to travel for eighty-one games from April to October and more if they made the playoffs. At least, she wouldn't be having a baby in the middle of the season like Kenzie was. Nothing had changed. Both she and Ben didn't want children, but they wanted a life together.

"Come on. I can't wait to get you home."

She teased him. "Was that a stunt for social media?" They had drawn attention in the terminal.

"No, my publicist will finally quit after this." He laughed. He had trouble staying out of the public's eye. "Besides why would you think that? You know how much I love you."

She smiled. "I do, but I didn't see a ring. Not that I'm into jewelry, but I always imagined you shopping for my ring."

"Maybe it's hidden at home and you have to find it."

"Did you go alone? Who did you take?"

He sighed. "Jett went with me, but he promised not to tell my sister. It wouldn't have been a surprise if she knew."

Sloane laughed.

When they arrived at his Florida house, she carried her bag into the bedroom with Ben right on her heels. He pulled her into his arms. "I missed you so much."

He kissed her in a way that told her she wouldn't be looking for her ring yet. She pulled away. "I thought I had a scavenger hunt."

"It's kind of in plain sight and I thought I was leading you to it."

She glanced at the bed and on top of her pillow was a box. She went to dive for it, but he pulled her back. "Wait."

She watched as he reached for it and got down on one knee in front of her. He was so cute and sexy and sweet. He was nothing like she thought when she first met him. She had broken down his wall and helped to ease his pain. Even Kenzie noticed the change in him, but assumed it was because of the sex.

"Will you be my wife, so we can spend the rest of our lives making each other happy?" She nodded. "Sloane Lynch, I like that."

She almost didn't pay attention to what he said, because she was too busy looking at the gorgeous ring he slipped on her finger. She would have to thank Jett.

"Um, I'm not sure I want to get rid of Calhoun."

He laughed. "You hid your last name from me and now you want to keep it."

"I have made a name for myself, so maybe Sloane Calhoun-Lynch."

"That works. Truthfully, I don't really care just as long as you're mine."

"I'm yours. You were never getting rid of me, even if you didn't want to marry me. Remember, I'm just a crazy fan."

"Don't you mean a crazy rich fan?"

She didn't answer. His mouth found hers. They could talk the rest of their life...

Scroll for a chapter from Bea and a bonus video and more on what's next.

If you like please vote ⭐️