29 - Magic

Ben hadn't seen Sloane in two weeks, not since she climbed out of his car. He had wanted to follow her and kiss her all night. He wanted to do more than just kiss and had hoped to see her before her party. Instead, he followed his GPS west on the pike. He still didn't know what to expect. Some of his teammates in Texas had obscenely huge homes, but her family had old money.

His palms were sweating by the time the voice directed him to turn right in one mile. After a few other turns, he was on a short tree-lined street and turned into the first drive on the left. Multiple cars were parked along the pavers and he pulled in next to an expensive BMW. He looked at the cars and didn't see Jett's big, black SUV.

A man with an accent answered the door. His jaw dropped open. "You're Ben Lynch."

He smiled. "I am. Be prepared, Jett's been invited too."

"I like Javier." The man confided.

"Javi is an outstanding player and a better man."

"Your arm is all right?" He asked, concerned.

"The cast could come off next week." He had an appointment on Wednesday.

He smiled. "They're gathered in there." He pointed to a doorway.

"Thank you."

"Julio."

"Thank you, Julio." He repeated as he walked away. Obviously, the man was the hired help, but to him he was a fan.

He stood in the doorway and scanned the crowd. His eyes stopped when he saw her. She was laughing, and a man had his arm around her. He was the one she had left with at the gallery. Before he could walk over to her, the doctor appeared.

"Hey Ben. How's the wrist?"

"Better, I hope. I'll know more next week. So doc, are these all Sloane's friends?"

"Noah, please. Some friends, some family. Go say hello to the birthday girl."

He looked up and Sloane stared at him. He lifted his hand and waved. She started across the room and he felt everyone watching him. He was afraid they knew how he had treated her and hated him. His eyes scanned her mini dress down her legs to her toes at the end of very high heels.

She approached him with a smile. She hardly had to tilt her head to meet his eyes, because of her shoes. "No one told me they invited you."

"My invitation said it was a surprise party."

"No, and I felt awkward including you because..."

"Because half these people know I treated you like shit." He smiled.

"Maybe, not half." She smiled as if she were nervous too. "Just my friends and their other halfs. I'm glad you came."

"I wanted to see you."

"Why?" Her face looked serious.

"Because I missed you and I wanted to tell you again, I'm done with Angela. I'm sorry about that picture."

"I saw you."

"Saw me what?"

"Checking out my legs. You have a wandering eye."

"No! Not how the phrase is intended. I may look, but I never act. Jesus, if I acted, I would have tried when Tex failed that first night." She blushed. "Where's my sister?"

"She said she was running late."

"Did she know it wasn't a surprise?"

Sloane nodded. "I think Sage and Mia did some scheming to surprise me."