𝕋𝕨𝕖𝕟𝕥𝕪 𝔽𝕚𝕧𝕖

[Chapter 25 - The Aftermath]

✰ ✰ ✰ ✰

Minerva couldn't believe what just happened. One moment it seemed like the standoff was over, the next, Genevieve was little more than a puddle of red and blue, her robes spread about her, soaked with blood after releasing an unearthly scream.

It all seemed like a haze to the older witch who had only witnessed such mass destruction during the war but she promptly turned her attention back to Quirrell, who was shaking with fury.

"How could you do this to me, Minerva?!" he screeched, flailing his wand around.

"It's over Quirinus, the Aurors will be here soon and you'll be locked away in Azkaban where you belong," she countered, praying he didn't call her bluff.

"You'll pay for this, for taking my love away from me! Confringo!"

"Protego Horribilis," Professor McGonagall swiftly blocked the fiery cloud, deflecting it with a flick of her wrist. She was the 3-time winner of the duelling cup after all. Using the cloud of smoke to her advantage, the transfiguration professor snuck behind the doubled over settee with the stealth of a cat.

Catching Quirrell's back searching in the smoke, Minerva waiting for the right moment to pounce. As he scampered over to the magical theory professor's limp body, Minerva took her only open chance, putting all her energy into her body-binding curse until there was silence.

Wiping the sweat from her forehead, Minerva collapsed against a turned armchair, only now noting the extent of her inquiries, as a sharp, piercing ache shot through her head. But her pain didn't matter. Creeping over the rubble and shattered glass, Minerva patted around Genevieve's abdomen, trying to find the source of all the blood dousing her hands.

She discarded her cloak to one side and with a flick of her wand, transfigured the material to a proper binding around the large gash.

"It'll be alright Genevieve, just hold on," the older witch whispered to her, propping her up against the wall once the bandage was secure.

Knowing that Genevieve was stable, Minerva sent a Patronus to Severus and Albus and turned to Madam Hooch and Pomfrey who were beginning to gain consciousness again.

Hopefully, they would arrive quickly before poor Gen bled out.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Severus licked the tip of his thumb and flipped the page of the next essay.

Nymphadora Tonks was a hopeless cause when it came to potions. Looking through her essay, Severus visibly cringed at how little she paid attention in class. He turned to the front, ready to mark it with a big T when Genevieve's words from early rang in his ears.