3

SHE WOLF
— 3. Vengeance

 Wanting allies to join them on the trip to England, Ragnar ended up inviting Ylva and her brothers back to Kattegat for a feast he was having with King Horik and her son, who had just returned from England

"You'll have to forgive the poverty of the feast," Ragnar spoke up, glancing over at his wife before back at Horik, "It has been a hard winter. We had to burn our own grain stores to rid ourselves our Jarl Borg."

"So I heard," Horik replied, not seeming to be interested in what Ragnar had to say.

"Tell us, Erlendur, what happened in England, after we left?" Ragnar asked as he looked directly at King Horik's son.

Ylva rolled her eyes and exchanged a look with Sihtric. She found herself zoning out of the rest of the conversation. However, she did hear parts of King Horik wanting nothing more than to claim vengeance on King Ecbert. Though Ragnar intended to get vengeance on Jarl Borg first.

A servant walked over to Sihtric. She was in the middle of filling up his cup, only to accidentally spill it. Her eyes widened in alarm and Sihtric turned to her, a calm expression on his face. "Forgive me," She quickly told him, thinking he'd be angry.

"No need. It is fine," He assured her and the girl nodded before walking away.

Ylva turned and smiled slightly, watching her brother stare at the servant girl as she walked away.

The conversation continued on and Ylva listened in, learning that Ragnar and Horik needed more men and ships for the raid, but had no idea where to find them.

Horik suggested Jarl Borg and claimed that Rollo needed to be the one to do it, which confused Ylva.

Ylva glanced between his brothers, immediately wanting nothing more than to offer the countless men and ships that she had back in Ashton. She opened her mouth to speak up, only to have Erik roughly grip onto her arm from underneath the table.

She turned and glared at him, knowing it was his way of telling her to keep her mouth shut.

___

Upon arriving at the rooms she was being forced to share alongside both of her brothers, Erik followed after her.

She scoffed loudly, turning to face him. "What do you want?" She asked him with an attitude.

"I know you're about to offer our ships," Erik told her in a vicious tone, "And there is not a chance I'm going to let you do that."

"As I recall, you are not Earl. I am," Ylva reminded her brother in a stern tone. She crossed her arms, walking closer to him.

"Aye, but I'm your brother," He snapped at her as he roughly grabbed her by the arm.

Ylva scoffed, quick to snatch her arm out of his grip. The door was open a crack, causing Bjorn, who had come to see Ylva, witness everything that was happening.