19

SHE WOLF
— 19. Grand Plan

   A few days had passed before the Franks returned, clearly wanting to know why they were still there

A few days had passed before the Franks returned, clearly wanting to know why they were still there. The Franks' commander, Count Odo had arrived and in all honestly, Ylva couldn't understand how a man like him could ever be capable of commanding people. He looked pathetic, unable to lead anything. But from what she had learned, the Emperor wasn't all that capable either.

"He wants to know why you're still here and not returned home," Sinric informed the group, translating what Count Odo had said, "They have honored their pledge, why are you not honoring yours."

Bjorn and Ylva exchanged a look before Bjorn gestured toward Ragnar's tent, looking directly at Odo as he began to explain. "Our king, my father, Ragnar Lothbrok, is too weak and ill to travel," He informed him and Sinric wasted no time translating.

"He wants to see," Sinric replied and Ylva smiled slightly, immediately beginning to walk toward Ragnar's tent, gesturing for Count Odo to follow them.

It wasn't long before she, Odo, Bjorn, and Sinric entered, revealing Ragnar to be lying in bed, weak and trembling. "If he dies, he has only asked one thing. That he receive a proper Christian burial. Otherwise, we will not leave," Bjorn explained and Sinric immediately translated for him.

"He says you may bring his body to the cathedral, carried by unarmed men," Sinric told them in a calm tone, "They will say a Christian mass for his soul."

Ylva and Bjorn nodded and with that, Count Odo left with Sinric following close after him.

Ragnar weakly reached his arm out and grabbed Bjorn's hand. Bjorn turned to Ylva, both of them exchanging an uneasy look.

____

That night, celebrations occurred like every other night. People danced, sang, and drank as music played.

Bjorn was sitting alone, a saddened look on his face. He glanced around, only to lock eyes on Ylva. She walked over to him, a large smile on her face.

"What has gotten you in such a happy mood?" Bjorn asked her, eying her suspiciously since it took a lot to have Ylva smiling like that, especially at a time like that.

"There is something I must tell you," She informed him in a hushed tone as she leaned closer to him.

"What is it?" Bjorn asked, looking deeply concerned.

"I am with child again," She admitted and Bjorn's eyes lit up at the news.

His lips curled upwards and he laughed happily. He wasted no time hugging her in their seated position, placing a hand on her belly. "You could not have given me better news," He admitted, kissing as they both felt happy by the revelation.