5

SHE WOLF
— 5. Family and Duty

 In Kattegat, outside near the water, Ylva was standing with Lagertha, King Horik, and his son Erlendur while Bjorn stood nearby

In Kattegat, outside near the water, Ylva was standing with Lagertha, King Horik, and his son Erlendur while Bjorn stood nearby. "We must prepare to go to Wessex," King Horik spoke up in a calm tone as he glanced between Ylva and Lagertha, "Obviously, we must leave soon."

"I have to return to my territories. I have to prepare my ships," Lagertha informed the group in a calm tone and Ylva nodded, "It will take some time."

"I do as well," She replied, agreeing with the woman.

"How much time?" Horik asked Ylva, looking directly at her.

"Just enough time," Bjorn spoke up, causing Horik to turn to look at the boy while Ylva exchanged a smile with Bjorn, "No more, no less, King Horik."

"Your father has a new child!" A servant woman announced as she walked over to the group.

"A son?" Bjorn asked in concern as he and Ylva walked closer to the girl.

"Yes," She answered, causing even Ylva to smile.

"I must congratulate your father," Horik spoke up as he walked closer to them, "It is never a bad day to have a son. The Gods cannot stop offering him their blessings."

"I, too, am happy for Earl Ragnar," Erlendur told Bjorn before walking in the same direction as his father and the servant girl who had first given them the news.

Once they were gone, Bjorn and Ylva turned to each other, both of them smiling. Ylva playfully nudged him and Bjorn wrapped his arm around her. They were on the verge of walking away together when Lagertha spoke up. "And when did this happen?" She suddenly asked, realizing the duo was together.

They both stopped and turned to Lagertha, smiling slightly. "Not too long ago," Bjorn confessed, grabbing ahold of Ylva's hand, "But I am in love with her."

Since Bjorn had never admitted that, Ylva turned to Bjorn, her eyes widening in shock. Her lips parted, surprised by his words.

Lagertha smiled, glancing between the duo. "Well, I couldn't be happier that my son found someone like you to be with."

____

That afternoon, on the shores of the beach at Kattegat, Ylva stood with Bjorn, who was shirtless. They both carried shields while Bjorn carried an ax while Ylva held a sword as they fought against each other.

"Don't die stupidly," She told him as she swung at him with her sword.

"I'm not going to die," Bjorn argued and swung his ax at her, but Ylva was quick to duck.

Ylva spun and lunged her blade in his direction, but Bjorn quickly blocked her with his shield.

Bjorn swung and she stepped out of the way before shoving him. He stumbled but was quick to regain balance. "Yes, you are!" Ylva shouted at him in a stern tone, "If you keep fighting the way you are right now."