15

SHE WOLF
— 15. Gyda

 Several months had passed since Ylva and Bjorn were married

Several months had passed since Ylva and Bjorn were married. And now, as spring time was arriving, Ylva had found herself in labor, despite not wanting to give birth to the child.

Ylva was kneeling on the ground, screaming in pain. Aslaug and Helga were kneeling behind her, assisting her with the birth.

Freya stood a few feet away from them, looking horrified by the whole ordeal. "Is it always like this?" She found herself asking, a part of her beginning to feel as though she never wanted to give birth to a child in the future.

"It won't be long now," Aslaug informed the group as she and Helga stood up from the ground.

Bjorn entered the room, a concerned look on his face when he saw how much pain Ylva was in.

"Go away, Bjorn!" Helga scolded the young man as she walked closer to him.

"No, I'm not leaving here," Bjorn argued in a stern tone as he walked closer to where Ylva was on all four on the ground.

"I do not want this child," Ylva cried out as she shook her head frantically, "I don't want this child! I don't want this child!"

Aslaug stared down at Ylva as she had her hands placed on the girl's shoulders. A part of her felt concerned, knowing it wouldn't end well if Ylva didn't want her own child.

She knew why. It was obvious. She didn't know anything about being a mother and perhaps she never would. She grew up unloved, without a mother to care for her and with a father who wanted her dead.

She had her brother Erik, of course. But he wasn't the loving and nurturing type. He was simply taught her to be the strong and enduring warrior she had become over the years.

Ylva had no idea what it was to be a mother. She had never experienced a mother's love before.

"I do," Bjorn argued in a stern tone as he crouched down beside Ylva.

"It will be cursed, just like me," She cried out as she clutched her body.

"Maybe you will love it all the same," Aslaug argued with an offended look on her face, "It will be yours, Ylva. Your child. You will love it, nurture it, and protect it no matter what. Being Earl is just like being a mother. As Earl, you must always care for your people and protect them. As a mother, you will do the same and I know you will be good at it, even if you don't see it now."

"It is coming," Helga suddenly revealed and Bjorn stood up as Aslaug rubbed Ylva's back in comforot.

Ylva panted for breath, beginning to push once more. "Pray to Freya," Helga insisted as Lagertha walked into the room, "One more, Ylva. One more and your child will be born."