18

SHE WOLF
— 18. Recovery

 It wasn't long before Ragnar decided to send a small army in the night to sneak into Paris

It wasn't long before Ragnar decided to send a small army in the night to sneak into Paris. Of course, it wasn't long before Ylva offered to lead the assault and Ragnar was more than willing to allow her, knowing if anyone were to succeed in leading the men and women, it was Ylva.

Before leaving, Ylva traveled to the tent where Bjorn was resting. She walked over to him before kneeling next to him. She placed a hand on Bjorn's cheek.

He immediately woke up and opened his eyes, giving her a curious look. "What's wrong?" He asked her, knowing the look on her face all too well.

"Ragnar has sent a small number of us to try to sneak into Paris. I will be leading the attack. It happens tonight. I just wanted to see you before I left," She explained to him, a soft smile on her face as she glanced down at him.

Bjorn weakly lifted his hand and grabbed hers, squeezing it affectionately. "Be careful," He warned her and Ylva smiled as she nodded her head.

"I will," She assured him and leaned forward, pressing a quick kiss to his lips, "I know I don't say it often, Bjorn, even though I should, but I love you," She told him in a whisper, "More than you could ever know. You mean the world to him."

"I love you, too," He replied, placing a hand on the side of her face, "You are my world."

Ylva smiled softly at his words and leaned forward, kissing her husband once more before she stood up. She let go of his hand, just before walking away.

___

That night, alongside Lagertha and several others, the group swam through the waters and toward the walls of Paris. The water was freezing, but Ylva endured it, knowing it would be worth it. They swam to the watchtowers once reaching it, Ylva was the first to begin to climb up with Lagerhta following soon after her.

Inside, one of the men was looking outwards at the water. However, as he went to turn to follow the others, Ylva suddenly appeared in front of him. She covered his mouth with her hand, just before slicing his throat with her blade.

Being the next to get inside, Lagertha snuck up to another man and killed him instantly by stabbing him repeatedly. The shieldmaidens who had accompanied them on the attack quickly grabbed ahold of the men and lightly placed down them on the ground without any noise.

Without being seen, Ylva snuck over to the last man standing nearby. She made sure not to be seen before rushing at him from the back. She whipped his body around before Lagertha appeared and killed him.

The other shieldmaidens quickly stepped forward, catching him before he could hit the ground. They gently placed him down on the ground while Lagertha walked up to another man and sliced his throat.