11

SHE WOLF
— 11. Battle for Mercia

   It didn't take long for them to arrive in Wessex, seeing as though they practically knew the way there by heart now

Ragnar, Athelstan, Floki, Torstein, Lagertha, Bjorn, Rollo, and Ylva were those who ended up traveling to Ecbert's villa to meet with him.

Upon arriving, the group sat with King Ecberth, Princess Kwenthrith, Prince Æthelwulf, Princess Judith, and countless other Saxons at a table.

"It is my pleasure to feed you and prove the bounty of our Earth," Ecbert announced to the group in a calm tone, yet out of the Vikings, Ylva and Ragnar were the only ones to understand his language thanks to their lessons from Athelstan.

"What has happened to our people who chose to fight for Mercia?" Ragnar asked King Ecbert curiously.

Ecbert remained silent and turned to Princess Kwenthrith for her to answer.

"Unfortunately, the forces of my uncle and younger brother have prevailed," She responded in a disappointed tone, "But if Ragnar Lothbrok, and both of you, Lagertha and Ylva, would join with us, I am sure of victory."

"What does she say?" Lagertha asked, speaking in her native tongue.

"She wants us to fight for her for the throne of Mercia," Ylva answered as she exchanged a look with Ragnar.

"We came here to farm," Lagertha complained, turning to give Ragnar a pointed look, "She asks us to fight and to die, for a quarrel which is not ours."

Ylva turned, noticing how Ecbert was quick to ask Athelstan about what they were saying since he couldn't understand them.

"Um, King Ragnar," Ecbert called out, causing Ragnar to turn to look at the man, "I have given you land. Let me tell you the truth, as God is my witness, some of my nobles do not agree with what I have done. They are afraid. But I am determined to honor our treaty. In return, some of you, at least, must fight for Princess Kwenthrith."

Ragnar sighed, leaning back in his seat. "That is not part of our original agreement," He complained as he pinched the bridge of his nose, "but...in good faith, and in hopes of creating a long and prosperous...friendship, I will fight."

"So will I," Ylva spoke up, using the Saxon's language, "But surely, we cannot speak for the others."

"I will fight," Prince Æthelwulf spoke up, causing Ylva to turn to him, "Alongside these pagans. For Mercia."

"What are you and Ylva saying, brother?" Rollo asked as he turned to Ragnar, speaking in their native tongue.

"I have agreed to fight. So has Ylva," Ragnar answered as he continued to lean back in his seat.

After a moment of hesitation, Rollo sighed and nodded his head. "If my brother goes, then so do I."

"Bjorn?" Ragnar questioned and turned to look directly at his son.