viii. are you afraid?

what a plot twist you were!

.      .       .       .       .       .       .       .       .       .

ARE YOU AFRAID?

c h a p t e r     e i g h t

.       .       .       .      .       .       .       .      .       .

AT SCHOOL THE CULLENS hardly acknowledged her. Rosalie didn't say a word in Spanish class and Alice didn't even meet Charlotte's gaze when they crossed paths in the hallways. She wondered why, did Edward say something about her to them? Charlotte didn't regret getting a little mean towards the end of that night, he deserved it. But a part of her cared about what his sisters thought of her, she didn't want them to believe she was a stone-cold bitch when she wasn't, she was a girl who wouldn't fall for foolish lies handsome teenage boys would tell them.

She was eating lunch when he came up to her, everyone was outside again due to the weather being warmer, but the sun was still hidden behind the clouds. Jessica and Mara were debating over what they thought the prom theme would be. The student council decided it would be a fun idea to keep the theme a secret until a few days before the dance.

"Can I speak with you?" he asked calmly, Charlotte dropped her fork onto her tray, everyone had halted their conversations to listen in on theirs.

"Fine, but not here," if he started on about the things he did at dinner the other day Charlotte was sure she would start yelling at some point, her classmates didn't need to see that. He turned away without another word, walking away from all the tables set outside for the students and made his way towards the tree line of the woods, but he didn't stop. "Stop here," Charlotte said, "I'm not going in the woods with you."

Edward's face remained blank, "you said not here."

She looked back over her shoulder and saw half the grade still staring at them, she wondered what they would think if they watched the two of them walk into the trees, but she'd rather them witness that then how their conversation could possibly go. She made her decision and nodded, thankful she still had pepper spray in her bag, just in case.