xix. come back to me

and then there is me, always waiting for you .

.      .      .      .      .      .      .      .      .      .     .

COME BACK TO ME!

c h a p t e r    n i n e t e e n

.      .      .      .      .      .      .      .       .      .       .

IT WASN'T SUPPOSED TO BE LIKE THIS.

Too many lies, too many broken promises, too many kisses, too many nights were spent with Edward right by her side calming her down. If Charlotte knew it was going to end like this she wouldn't have even let it start. She feels numb now, like nothing even exists anymore, Charlotte has been sitting at the foot of her bed the entire day, waiting and hoping that he might come through the window and apologize, play with her hair, and tell her he loved her one more time just so she could say it back to him.

In his last promise that he made to her, he said it would be like he never even existed. She didn't think he was serious until she came back to her room to find the picture missing from her bedside table and the CD missing from it's player, now it was like there was no evidence at all. Maybe it really was just a sick and twisted nightmare.

Vivian and Sierra had come into her room the next morning to break the news that the Cullens had left town. As if she didn't already know. The motherly figures knew that's why Charlotte was so distraught, she was like a statue, she had hardly even moved since she was brought back from the woods last night by Sam Uley. The boys on the rez had a promise to hold, and as long as Grandma Viv could help it they would keep it.

It was like Charlotte had sunk into a pit of uncontrollable darkness, too deep to claw your way out of after you got stuck inside. Without Edward, everything bright and happy seemed nonexistent, just like he was now. The feeling she felt could be compared to what it felt like sitting silently against her door frame in Colorado listening to Sierra and Nico yell at each other for hours on end, both feelings were numb, but this one was much, much worse. Stronger.

She didn't go to school for weeks. It was almost November when she showed her face at Forks high again. Grandma Viv didn't push her when Charlotte wouldn't move from her bed in the morning after Sierra had left for work, she'd just check to make sure there was still a rise and fall from her chest, then bring a plate of food and set it in on her desk coming back a handful of minutes later to find that it was uneaten at least 70% the time.