xxix. repeating questions

you don't cross my mind, you live in it .

.      .       .       .       .       .      .       .      .       .       .

REPEATING QUESTIONS

c h a p t e r t w e n t y - n i n e

.       .       .       .       .        .        .       .       .       .       .

EVER SINCE EDWARD AND THE CULLEN FAMILY RETURNED, things have been easy again. The sleepless nights full of nightmares weren't so frequent, and Charlotte found herself smiling almost every hour of the day. She was still grounded, that was for sure, but her mother couldn't stop her and Edward from seeing each other at school, and she was still allowed out a bit afterward, each second of which was spent with him.

School got easier, now that her own personal tutor was back and keeping Charlotte on her toes with her work. The girl was sure that Edward knew everything, and he was just a little too good at hiding it. Some people at school probably wouldn't adjust well to a pale and attractive freaky genius walking through the halls alongside them.

In case you were wondering about the question, that was the one thing that wasn't so easy. Charlotte hasn't given Edward an answer yet, but she hasn't said no either. She doesn't think she could ever really say no to him honestly. He's asked a handful or more times and she did the same thing every time she heard the words, avoid his gaze and blush, and try to take her mind to somewhere else, she doesn't want to let anything slip. Charlotte's not trying to keep secrets from Edward, she's never been a very good liar, but there are just some things that she'd rather he not hear, the last thing she wants to do is hurt his feelings. They promised each other forever, so obviously Charlotte figured they might get married eventually, but not this soon. There was also the small nagging worry in the back of her head that maybe one day she'll change her mind and want something normal, but what's the fun in that? There was also this crushing fear that weighted down her shoulders that the Volturi might come for her if she doesn't turn, and the thought of turning was another thing that wasn't so easy about life now too.

Charlotte has spent hours thinking about it, all of which is happening when she's not around Edward, she knows he would get upset if he knew she was thinking about it. She still couldn't see herself killing animals, or humans, definitely not humans, but she didn't want to age while her partner didn't, what would they tell people in 50 years? That Edward was her caretaker or something. her son? That sounded like the worst possible nightmare Charlotte could ever have. Another part of it was what he thought about her eventual death. He planned to leave the earth as soon as she did, and Charlotte didn't want that, if Edward could live forever, he would. No one she loves will die because of her, she wouldn't be able to live with herself if they did. So, that explains her internal argument with herself, does she stay a human and spend the rest of her life running from thousand-year-old supernaturals, or does she just suck it up and live with it, avoid the danger, but have to deal with all the things that come with being a vampire? The only upside she could think of that applied to becoming immortal was getting to spend eternity with Edward.