Chapter One

Fly by Night: (adj) a person who is unreliable or untrustworthy, unless they want something; one that seeks to evade responsibilities; one without established reputation or standing; given to making a quick profit usually by shady or irresponsible acts; a person who flees at night to evade creditors or the law

Chapter One

Wind in his hair, fresh air in his lungs, the freedom of the open road in front of him - that should've been enough. That used to be enough. Today was a beautiful September afternoon, with a warm breeze sweeping around his face, heating and cooling it at the same time. That should've been enough too. He used to appreciate those kinds of things because they were the kinds of things that made the ugly in his life a little bit easier to swallow.

Six months inside wasn't the longest stint he'd ever done, and it wouldn't be his last either, but it had irrevocably altered the course of his life. Five Samcro brothers had gone inside Stockton, and at the end of those six months, only four had come out.

It didn't help that after this meeting was over, he'd have to go home. He could stall at the clubhouse and no one would be the wiser, save for his mother, but that would just prolong the inevitable. He'd made the mistake of promising he would come home and that he wouldn't spend the night at the clubhouse.

So he'd go home. They'd fight. She'd cry. Probably throw something at his head. Not like he wouldn't deserve it.

And it didn't change the fact that he just didn't want to be there. Hell, he didn't really want to be anywhere anymore.

At least, he mused as he pulled his bike to a stop, this meeting was a temporary distraction from the disaster that was his life. He swung a leg over the side of his bike, adjusted his cut on reflex, and nodded to Opie, who fell into step next to him.

Jax glanced over his shoulder and shook his head.

"You think it was really a good idea to let those two tag along for this?" he gestured with his head to the two figures trailing behind them.

Opie's eyes darted over his shoulder, and he just shrugged. "Dunno, but I guess if anyone's gonna negotiate an agreement, they're as motivated as any."

True, but Jax still didn't quite trust that this was the best play. This meeting needed to go smoothly, and it needed to end peacefully with at least a compromise, if not a full-fledged agreement, on the table. Bobby and Piney each had a vested interest in this deal, but so did Ope. Too many cocks in the hen house wouldn't do any of them any good, and it definitely wouldn't get anyone to sign on the dotted line.

So he pushed through the double doors of Sweet Productions with his guard high. There were too many variables, too many ways this could go south fast, and then the club would be one step further away from its end goal. Or, really, his end goal. This merger was a means to an end and the two old cuts trailing behind him threatened the tentative balance they'd struck just by being here.

Jax's eyes widened a little as he took in the studio around him. With the way Luann had talked up this space, with its supposed "state of the art" filming and editing equipment, he figured she had to be exaggerating. There was no way something like that existed in the porn industry, but then again, his only real experience in this was through Cara Cara. And this place made Cara Cara look like a low-grade hostel.

He found Opie's gaze and let out a low whistle.

Exaggerating Luann was not.

Despite the barely-dressed women, and some men, strutting around the place, it still managed to have the air of professionalism and more surprisingly, cleanliness. The floors even seemed to sparkle. Even more telling - there were no sets in sight, which was a far cry from the in-your-face atmosphere that assaulted the senses the second you stepped foot on Cara Cara's production floor. Jesus, maybe they were really onto something here. His palms got a little sweaty just at the thought.