Chapter 9: The joy of family

Raps pov

It has been a whole month since Varian has come to stay with me and eugene. His hands were so close to being fully healed internally at least, his scars would still be red and occasionally puffy. I was up really early making breakfast for eugene and varian. I had a big smile on my face as varians birthday was today and Eugene was out getting his birthday present right now and I was just waiting for Varian to wake up and come downstairs. I was pulled from my task and thoughts as I heard a terrified scream come from upstairs. I quickly click the stove off moving the pan off the burner and run up the stairs towards varians room where the screaming was originating from. Swinging the door open I'm met with the sight of varian thrashing around under his covers like he was panicking and trying to escape someone's hold. A sigh escapes my lips as I walk over to him and carefully pull the blankets off of him and I start shushing him and saying "Hey, hey, hey.....its okay your okay, your safe, no one's trying to hurt you wake up varian, wake up."

He jolts awake and I'm sitting next to him on the side of his bed. Carefully taking his hand into mine and starting to reach up and brush his bangs from his face. He flinches away from my touches at first but then as I brush his bangs away he leans into my hand gently closing his eyes and letting a small whimper out of his throat. After a second he opens his eyes and looks at me.

"Happy birthday varian."

"What?"

"It's your birthday buddy, I have planned a very mellow yet fun filled day today."

"Wow it's been a long time since i celebrated my birthday. At least not alone."

I look at him sadly but i brush it off quickly and say "Well go get dressed i'm going to finish making breakfast then eugene should get home soon."

"Where'd eugene go?"

"He went to go get something."

He gives me a confused puppy dog look and he says "What kind of something?"

"Well its a birthday gift but it's a surprise"

"Okay?" He gave me another confused look before asking if i could leave the room so he could get ready for the day. I nod and head out of the room towards the kitchen to finish working on breakfast, i hope varian likes it. French toast is always fun to make especially when i put my secret ingredient in. Varian mentioned once that he used to love his moms french toast, so i hope hes not offended by me making this. I listen to the shower upstairs turn on and then the garage door open followed by eugene saying "Morning sunshine, where is varian?"

"Hes in the shower put the surprise in the bathroom down here" i listen to the scampering of paws follow after eugene into the bathroom and then a door closing and he walks into the kitchen holding a container full of cupcakes. i smile at him and say "Awe are those for varian?"

"Yes they are sunshine, i hope he enjoys them."

"I think he'll love them. I hope that he likes these"

"I think he will sunshine."

Varian came downstairs after a bit wearing a red hoodie and some black jeans. His hair was still wet and he was smelling the air curiously, "Whats that smell?" i smile and place a couple pieces of french toast onto a plate and then hold them out to him saying "Happy birthday varian"

Varian pov

I stared at the food on the plate she held out to me. In moments my mind took a spiral back to the past on my fifth birthday.

3rd pov

The little boy bounced excitedly into the kitchen where a woman stood cooking something that put a delicious smell in the air.

"Momma momma what you making?"

"Your favorite, what else for the birthday boy!"

The woman hefts the small boy up into her arms so he can see what it is that she's doing.

The memory faded into another. The boy was now 7 and he held a plate of french toast out to the woman laying in the hospital bed saying "Happy birthday momma." She gives him a sad smile and says "Thank you varian"

A young boy and man stood in front of the grave as it rained on them heavily "Dad, can we make french toast when we get home?"

"No son. Were never making it again"

Varian pov

I came out of my memories looking up. I see raps and eugene are giving me concerned looks and saying things i can hear until my hearing fades back in and raps says "I'm sorry varian i didn't mean to hurt your feelings." That's what makes me realize I'm crying and I say "No, No, no, nono you didn't i just got caught up in memories. Thank you Rapunzel." i smile happily taking the plate from her hands and sitting at the counter placing toppings on the toast with a smile on my face.

After breakfast I sighed happily feeling full and then saying "So what is the surprise Eugene went out to get?"

"Well it'd be easier to show you." eugene stands up and moves towards the bathroom and then yells out "Say come!"

"Come?"

A beautiful husky came out of the hallway towards me. He sat in front of me and looked up wagging her tail calmly yet happily. I couldn't form words at all. I look up at Eugene and he says "This is Rudiger varian, he's a service dog, trained for PTSD and trauma. Since school is starting soon we thought maybe you would want to start going?"

My world went black and my mind went blank.