still an asshole

"max!" mike called to her. she whirled around to face him, looking slightly angry and mike had a guess as of why. "what?" she asked him simply.

"you liked the kiss last night max, don't try to lie about it," he said. max gaped then said angrily, "i was drunk. you were drunk. we were drunk mike!"

"but you melted into the kiss like you had been waiting for it your whole life," he said back. max shook her head and said through gritted teeth, "i didn't like it mike so shut the hell up."

he eyed her for a moment then said, "i'll see if you melt again." "wha-?" she started to ask but she was interrupted by his lips crashing into hers.

she tried not to melt into the kiss like she had done last night but couldn't help herself and she hated herself for it.

after a moment he pulled away from her and she found herself wanting more but covered it up by shooting him an annoyed glare. "you liked it, don't even try to say you didn't max," he said simply.

max narrowed her eyes at him, "just leave me alone wheeler." he gave her an amused look which got another glare from her before he shrugged then left.

《meanwhile》

"max and mike are definitely in love guys. we see the way they look at each other and act around each other. it's so obvious," nancy was trying to convince the rest of the party.

"mike and max?! you've got to be shitting me," dustin said in disbelief. nancy shook her head. "they fight all the time so i don't know what you think you're talking about," lucas then said matter of factly.

"they weren't today. i saw them talking and mike kiss max," nancy informed them. "what?!" all the members exclaimed in shock. nancy laughed a little as she nodded, "told ya."

just then max entered the room with mike shortly following after her. everyone turned their heads towards them with curious eyes. max gave them all confused looks.

"are you two dating?!" lucas asked before will elbowed him in the side and he hushed. max furrowed her eyebrows as she then turned back to look at mike.

"no, we're not," she hissed as she then moved to sit next to el on the floor. "well... mike. did you kiss her earlier today?" lucas then asked again. will elbowed him again and he exclaimed, "ow!"
"shut up," dustin warned lucas. lucas made a face at him.

mike smiled as if he were proud of himself. max's face turned a deep red and she looked down to the ground. "oooh," lucas and dustin sang together.

"shut up," max then spoke up as she looked up and stared down the two boys, her face still clearly red. they hushed then dustin asked max curiously, "did you like the kiss?"

max scoffed at him and shook her head. "i did not," she hissed, once again directing her answer at mike like she was trying to prove something to him that the others were unaware of.

"she totally did," mike said back as he met her eyes and smirked. max rolled her eyes back at him. "why'd you even kiss her anyways?" lucas then asked mike.

"well..." he started but realized he couldn't tell them about last night when they were drunk. so instead he said, "just to mess with her feelings." max gaped at him and oddly felt upset.

but why would she have expected anything less of him. he was mike wheeler, the asshole. she wished she didn't like him, she truly did. she wished she could prevent herself from melting into his kisses but she couldn't. so of course mike would take advantage of that.

she got up angrily and went to leave the house, rushing past mike and saying, "you're an asshole mike." he tried to catch her wrist before she slipped out of the house but didn't.

he turned and looked back at everyone and lucas said to him, "go after her man!" "you screwed up," dustin also said. "very encouraging dustin," he said sarcastically. dustin shrugged then he turned around and started going after max, calling her name desperately.

once he finally caught up to her he grabbed her wrist to stop her. she turned around and glared at him. "what's wrong with you? why'd you just leave like that?" he asked curiously.

"because! you only kissed me to mess with my heart!" she said back in fury. mike shook his head frantically. "no! i just said that because i couldn't have told the party that you and i got drunk and made out last night, now could have i?!" he said back.

max's fury died down a little as she nodded. but she then said, "but why did you use that lie of all things?" "i don't know. it was just the first thing that came to my head. please don't think anything of it max," he said back softly.

max shrugged and hugged herself before looking up at him. "you're still an asshole nevertheless," she said to him with a little smile. he smiled back as he replied, "i can't believe i'm saying that i'm happy to hear that."

she smiled more as she laughed a little bit before he cupped her face and leaned down, pressing his lips against hers for a soft kiss that she once again, melted completely into.

***

i hate this one with a burning passion but i'm running out of completed one shots to post and this was one of the few ones i actually had finished lmao