Chapter Eleven ~ The Past Is Best Kept In The Past

Jennifer couldn't believe that Lucas had kept her to his side, she thought about how in movies and books, this scene aways ended in hate or betrayal even though, it was obvious that it wasn't anyone's fault. She couldn't believe that he could be so understanding and mature. How happy that made her feel. They had stayed at Lucas fathers home that night and Jennifer loved his little sister and her energy. When it was time to go, Lucas had a private word with his father, of what, Jennifer did not know.

Then they were driving out the long drive way when she heard a sound that she immediately recognised. The car was being shot at. Lucas swayed and swerved until the car stopped and wouldn't start up again.

"GET OUT NOW!" She shouted, the possibility of the car blowing up was high on the list.

Doors opened, her heart was beating wildly as she ran and as more gun shots could be heard, she looked around frantically and finally breathed, relieved when she saw everyone was alright.

She looked around, she and Lewis had headed in the same direction, Lucas and Jack the opposite direction. The gunshots could be heard as clearly as if they were following her. Time had moved in slow motion and Jennifer wanted to cry, she felt so useless. This was an ambush, there was nothing she could of done to stop this from happening but to save Lucas and everyone, she would do just about anything.

Jennifer stopped running, deciding to place her bets on Lewis's theory, she turned around and started making her way to where the gunshots could be heard. If what Lewis said is true and she really is the one being targeted, then the gunshots should stop if she offers herself up. Jennifer shivered in fear, before she didn't care if she died, during her most worst terrorism cases, she felt untouchable because she had nothing to lose. Maybe that's how she got that ridiculous story about her being a badass and a different person when faced in bad situations. Her experience in being the reason someone died fueling her into some sort of twisted punishment or atonement.

She chuckled as she walked ahead into the gunfire, but she only experienced terrorisim attacks twice, not enough to be experienced. She could hear her name being called but she didn't turn back, if she did she would chicken out. Jennifer was scared but she's faced worse, but things were different now, she didn't want to die, she wanted to live her life with Lucas.

~~~~~~

Lucas screamed over and over again, running after her but Jennifer did not stop her pursuit into sacrifical danger.

"YOU SILLY WOMAN! ARE YOU TRYING TO GET YOURSELF KILLED! STOP JEN! JENN.." Lucas shouted, he felt a hand on his shoulder, and it was Jack, his usual happy and relaxed smile replaced with a grim defeated look.

He grabbed Lucas, stopping him from moving. Lucas was furious he hit and kicked but to no avail.

"She won't sto-" Jack started but was cut short, both of them were startled.

The gunshots had stopped.

Lucas stopped struggling and they both looked back to Jennifer when the gunshots stopped. They could see her being grabbed by a man in a familiar green trench coat. Lucas grit his teeth in anger, his heart felt like it was being ripped from his chest as Jennifer was put in the back of a jeep and taken from him. John Green, Lucas didn't care for shit if that man was his biological grandfather, Jennifer was the most important person to him.

He didn't know how hard he had fell for her until that moment. Somewhere along the way, her smile, her laughter, her teasing, her anger, her love of tequila and the way she looked that night they made love, had got to him on a personal level. He's never felt this alive. Dammned if he'd let anyone take her away from him before they'd even started their lives together.