Part 3

The next day she woke up in Josh's bed, his knitted sheet hanging loosely around her body. He was sprawled out next to her, his toned chest gently rising and falling. She sat up, grabbing the alarm clock next to his bed. Six-forty five, fuck. She knew she needed another day to figure out what she was going to do. She didn't know if she should call the temp agency or Barb. She sat up, letting her short legs dangle over the top of the bed. She inhaled deeply, before standing up to search for her phone. She walked out of the bedroom, towards the kitchen, grabbing her phone from the granite counter top. She sat on the bar stool, contemplating. I need one more day to figure it out. One more day. She dialed the number, the line trilling in her ear. "Hello, thank you for calling Kirsch Staffing, this is Amanda. How may I help you today?"

"Hi, this is Samantha Lucas, I wasn't feeling too well today. I don't think I'd be able to make it in for my shift." She heard the receptionist typing loudly, popping her gum.

"Ah, they actually just closed that position, saying it was filled. Maybe try calling them?" She said, waiting for her to respond. Samantha sighed, he did this.

"Okay, thank you." Samantha said, hanging up the phone. This was all him and she knew it, she dialed the number.

"Thank you for calling, Wright Jones Software, this is Regina, how may I direct your call?"

"Hi, it's Samantha." She said softly, pausing for a brief moment. "Can you connect me to Barb Stevens?" She asked, as the receptionist transferred her. She waited patiently for Barb to answer, the phone ringing.

"Hello, this Barb Stevens, how may I help you?" Samantha sighed, of course she's there.

"Hi Barb, it's Samantha. I was calling because the staffing agency said the position was filled." She said, twisting her the ends of her black curls.

"Oh yes! Samantha, we thought why keep getting random girls when you do a fabulous job! Can you still come in today? I know you weren't feeling well yesterday." She said cheerfully. Samantha grimaced, rubbing her bare feet along the foot step on the stool.

"Oh, you hired me on?" Samantha asked, tucking her hair behind her ear.

"Yes, well Jackson and I thought it'd be a great idea! He said you were planning on going back to school so why not give you a full time job at the normal rate. If you can't make it in today, that is okay. I would rather you be a hundred percent." Barb paused, telling someone to go get her pages she'd printed.

"Normal rate?" Samantha blurted out.

"Well yes dear, the temp job was sixteen, once you're hired it's twenty. Plus annual raises and benefits." Samantha sighed, he was doing this on purpose. He wanted to make sure she wouldn't be able to say no. Give me an offer I couldn't refuse.

"Oh, thank you Barb. I am still feeling under the weather. Is it okay if I take one more day?" Samantha asked cautiously.

"Of course dear, I will see you Monday morning at seven. Hours changed as well if that is okay?" She asked sweetly. Samantha told her that was fine, before quickly ending the call. She rubbed her face, sliding off the stool, padding her feet back to Josh's master bedroom. He looked so peaceful, laying on his back. She climbed up, tucking her legs back under the sheet. He shifted, grabbing her body, as his eyes flickered open. She pushed her face into the pillow, trying to fight back the tears.

"Are you okay?" He asked groggily, rubbing her thigh. She nodded, turning to him, gazing into his sparkling green eyes. "Are you sure?"

"Yes, I called off today. Only to learn they hired me on at twenty dollars an hour. How am I going to leave now?" She said, tears forming in her eyes. He sighed, pulling her in, rubbing the arch in her back.