I Need New Friends (Oh Look, It's Percy)

I wish I hadn’t gone to school that day. I wish I had gotten sick that day. Gods, I wish anything happened earlier just so I wouldn’t have had to go to school that day. Anything at all. I should explain why I’m dying inside first. 

          Earlier that day everything was fine. It was a normal day and I started getting used to Percy. He was actually a really cool person to be around. But don’t tell him I said that. We both hung out at the library during our free period to just talk and relax. Sometimes when we let our guards down we vent to each other and tell each other about our pasts. 

          Turns out Percy also had a pretty bad life just like me, Thalia, and Luke. Percy has been kicked out of schools in the past and he hopes Goode is different for him. He used to have an abusive step-dad. He would call him Smelly Gabe when he was younger. Smelly Gabe hit his mom before and for Percy that was one of his breaking points. Percy was verbally and mentally abused by him, but he never opened up about being physically abused. Apparently Gabe disappeared and never came back one day. He says his mom was the only good thing in his life until he met us. He said he has a new step-dad named Paul. He’s an English teacher here at Goode and that’s why he transferred. Paul is a much better step-dad than Gabe. Percy also has a baby sister on the way. 

          I was surprised he would open up to me out of all people. He barely told half of these things to Grover and he was his first friend at Goode. That made me feel like he wasn’t so bad. I felt like I could just open up with him and vent whenever something happened. It took me much longer than a few days to open up with Thalia and Luke, so I don’t understand why I could open up so easily with Percy. He just felt so familiar and normal. I was way more comfortable around him then I wanted to be. Though sometimes I did get a bit self-conscious around him. 

          Luke and Thalia weren’t at lunch that day. So I went to look for them. I found both of them arguing behind one of the staircases near the bathrooms. I felt bad about eavesdropping, but I knew they wouldn't say anything about it if I went up to them. I sat on the stairs listening to what they were saying. 

          “... you know you can’t do that to her! She loves you Luke!” Thalia yelled. My heart started beating faster and my palms got sweaty. Did she tell Luke about my crush? I didn’t think she would do that because i know her. She wouldn’t say anything and she wouldn’t let it slip out so easily either. 

          “I know Thals! But I don't feel that way about her. I don’t like Silena like that! And that other girl you caught me with didn’t mean anything to me either! What happened with her was a mistake and being with Silena was a mistake too!” Luke yelled. My heart sank. I was familiar with Silena. Beauregard. She was a popular girl. She wasn’t a mean person though. She was beautiful and kind, that’s what made her popular. And Luke was well… Luke. I understand why she would fall for someone like him. But the fact that Luke would be the kind of guy to cheat on a girl and then say both girls were nothing to him, it just blew my mind. I never thought of Luke as the type of guy to do something like that. 

          “That doesn’t justify the fact that you cheated on her! Gods Luke, you’re an asshole!” Thalia said. “You’re not going to tell Silena though, right Thals?” Luke asked. I moved slightly so I could see them. They didn’t pay attention to me though.

          “Of course I’m going to tell her! Why would I let her suffer in a relationship with some asshole like you?!” Thalia yelled. “Come on Thals, don’t be like that” Luke held her hands and put his finger under her chin “You can’t tell her. Besides we could be together secretly. You know I love you. All you have to do is stay quiet…” Luke said. He tilted her head upwards and I could see tears running down her face. Then she did something unexpected. She slapped him. 

          “I can’t believe you Luke!” She punched his gut. “You think I would want to be with you! And you thought I would just fall into your arms and let you use me?! All to keep your stupid reputation!” She yelled at him. She slapped him one more time than ran out the door crying. I ran to the door then turned to Luke. 

          “I can’t believe you would turn out to be like this.” i said quietly. Tears were threatening to run down my face as Luke took a step towards me with his arm stretched towards me. 

          “Annie.... Come on. Please listen to me” Luke said. I opened the door and before I ran I said, “I'm done listening to you. And don't call me Annie anymore”. He took another step and I ran. I ran to the lunchroom to pack my stuff. Grover was gone and Percy was there taking care of my things. 

          “Hey Annabeth! Grover saw Thalia crying so he took care of her. I stayed to take care of your things.No need to thank-” Percy stopped talking when he saw me crying. “Woah what’s wrong? Are you okay? What happened?” His voice was full of concern. I didn’t respond and finished packing my things. I ran away fully aware of the fact that Percy was running too, trying to catch up. I ended up in the library. The exact same spot where me and Percy hangout together. I sat there and put my head down not letting myself cry. Then I felt a hand on my shoulder. I jerked back and saw those sea green eyes. They weren’t filled with happiness like they normally were. Instead they were filled with concern and worry.

          “Annabeth it’s me.Don’t worry, I'm here” Percy said as he sat down next to me. He pulled me into a hug and I let myself break down. 'It's okay'  i thought 'This is Percy'. I cried onto his shoulder while he was gently running his hand through my hair and playing with one of my curls.