Too Late To Go Back Now

"Annabeth please. Don’t do this.” Percy said with pleading eyes. He kissed my hand and held it lightly. I didn’t pull back this time. Instead I turned to Percy. He was staring at our hands.

I lifted his chin and looked him in the eye. I gave him a soft kiss. He rested his forehead on mine and put his hand gently on my neck. 

“Percy, I think this is for the best. We need to learn how to be friends before we think about dating each other.” I said, pulling away. He looked at me and his eyes were filled with tears. As soon as I saw him that sad, I started crying. 

“Think about this Wise Girl. I- I love you.” He said quietly. I sat back normally in the car seat. 

“I already have” I responded, “Percy please take me home”. 

He nodded and started driving. The drive was quiet and I couldn’t stop the tears from falling. I looked out the window the entire time. It was sunny and beautiful. It felt wrong. How could it be so amazing outside after what had just happened? It felt like it should’ve been raining. 

I glanced at Percy and I couldn’t read his expression. I didn’t know what he was thinking. I wondered if he would hate me after today. If he would ever look or talk to me again. If he would pretend like I don’t exist. I was scared of that. I know I broke up with him, but I still wanted him in my life. 

He pulled over in front of my house. I opened the car door and was about to step out, but Percy stopped me. 

“Annabeth.” He said. I turned back and looked at him.”Yeah?” 

“You said we should learn how to be friends. What happens if we do?” He asked. He didn’t move his head. He just stared at the steering wheel. I knew what he wanted to hear. It was the same thing I wanted to say. 

“I don't know Percy” I responded. He looked up at this. I didn't know what he was thinking. His expression was blank yet sad at the same time.

“Do you think we'd get back together?" He asked hopefully. I looked at his face. He looked sad and full of pain. His eyes were red and he didn't have the usual light in his eyes. Instead they were filled with sadness. 

“Bye Percy” I said ignoring his question. I didn't want to get his hopes up and lead him on. I didn't know what would happen in the future and I wasn't so eager to find out anyway. 

He didn't say anything. Instead he just pursed his lips and nodded. He wouldn't look at me. I opened my mouth to say something but I stopped myself. 

I shut the car door and ran to my front door. Wanting to avoid my family and any small talk, I ran up to my bedroom. I sat down on my bed and stared at a wall. 

Everything felt so fake. It didn’t feel real, it felt like a nightmare and all I wanted to do was wake up. But no, this was real. I had broken up with Percy. I had just lost my person. He was the right person, but the timing was horribly wrong.

I just needed time. I needed time to focus on school. Time to figure out if I should give my relationship with Percy another try.