So Freaking Charming

The next three weeks Percy had been distant yet clingy at the same time. He would always be around me helping me with small things like carrying my backpack or holding my books. 

But we almost never hangout except for every friday. We would go to Montauk and just be ourselves. We would forget about everyone and everything because it felt like it was just us two. 

    Sometimes at school I could barely talk to Percy. Ever since people found out we had broken up, girls have been swooning for him even more than usual. Trying to get his attention or trying to make it seem like they would be an item. 

As much as I hate to admit it I was jealous. Yes we broke up, but that doesn’t kill every small tinge of jealousy I get whenever another cheerleader is being all clingy with him. 

    But Percy got jealous too. He wasn’t the only one who got attention from people. A lot of guys, mostly asshole jocks, have tried asking me out. Well some asked me out, most of them just wanted a “fun experience”. With my luck every time I rejected someone and they wouldn’t stop pressuring me to say yes, Percy was there. Right behind me glaring at the person, almost daring them to continue pestering me. Giving them a silent threat. 

Even though some guys were taller or looked more masculine than Percy, he seemed to tower over them. He seemed to radiate danger. And although grateful, I didn’t like that type of Percy. I didn’t fall in love with the guy who seemed more than happy to destroy someone. It was helpful, but scary. Seeing that look in his eyes. A look that easily showed how violent and dangerous he could get. 

On that happy note, me and Percy had become really close friends. It didn’t exactly matter how much time we spent together, because whenever we could we cherished that small moment. 

    Today was one of those days. We were at Montauk, sitting on the sand and watching the waves. The sun was setting so it was extra beautiful. We were also eating some blue cookies that Sally had made us. They tasted as if it was from heaven. 

------------------------------------------------------

    Me and Percy were sitting in his step-dad Paul’s Prius. He was driving us back home since it was getting really late. He had put on Led Zeppelin and started singing (yelling) the lyrics. 

    “I’M GONNA GIVE YOU MY LOVE
    I’M GONNA GIVE YOU EVERY INCH OF MY LOVE
    I’M GONNA GIVE YOU MY LOVE” 

    I was laughing at his voice and I felt like he was directing the song towards me, but I wasn’t sure. He laughed and turned the music off because he “needed to rest his talent”.So I decided to ask about Drew, who had been following him everywhere trying to get him in her pants. 

    “So what’s up with Drew? She’s everywhere if you’re there and it’s really annoying” I said trying to be casual. Percy looked at me and raised his eyebrow. 

    “New sudden interest in my love life?” He said with a smirk. I scoffed and rolled my eyes. 

    “As if Seaweed Brain. She’s just so annoying and i’m getting tired of her.” I cleared my throat and did my best impression of Drew.

“Percy can you help me with my homework? You can come to my place on Friday *wink* you’ll love it. Annabeth you should consider makeup, it’ll help you be pretty like me. Sweety, your mustache is thicker than a middle eastern dictator.” 

I stopped my imitation and raised my eyebrows at Percy. He laughed and agreed that is exactly how she was. 

“I know, that’s why I want you to get rid of her. Honestly she used to be just irritating, but now i feel like punching her every time she opens her mouth” I said. “I’ll try Wise Girl, but she is hard to get rid of. She just won’t quit and I don’t know what to do” He said, sounding disappointed. 

I thought for a moment and an idea came to my mind. Before I realized I might regret saying it, I obviously said it. 

“You should get a girlfriend! Maybe that’ll make her back off” I said excitedly before I started regretting it. Percy looked at me with a smile and a sparkle in his eyes. But it left just as soon as it came. 

“That’s not going to work. She kissed me to try to be with me, even though she knew that we were” He stopped for a moment. “dating.” He finished. He let that last word linger. As if trying to relish those little words that used to mean so much. It stayed quiet for a while.  

“Annabeth, are we friends? Like good friends?” He asked as we started pulling into the city. I sighed and thought about the last three weeks. I started checking off things me and Percy didn’t have before, to see if we had them now in my mind. 

A good friendship? Check
A foundation? Check
Memories and fun moments before love? Check
Enough time to know each other fully? Debatable. 

Me and Percy knew each other perfectly and we’ve become so close in just three weeks. Instead of spending every moment together, we didn’t see each other as often so we knew how to function if we weren’t together. We were able to miss each other and get excited to see each other. We had something to talk about, instead of sitting in (a comfortable) silence because we had nothing to say to each other. 

I thought we could finally be a better couple, but since time was debatable I decided to give it another week or two. 

“Yes we have. Great friends actually, but I think we need some more time” I said looking at Percy. He kept his eyes on the road and his expression was blank. 

“How much time do you want?” He asked. I was surprised by how calm he was. Most people wouldn’t want to wait and would just end up leaving. 

“Until next Friday. We’ll see if anything changes” A smile started growing on his face. 

“So we make it to next friday?” I nodded. “without anyone or anything coming between us and interfering with everything?” I nodded again. “Ok that’s most likely not going to happen since we’re us and everything just loves to ruin everything. It’s like gods have something against us” He chuckled and I smiled. 

“Yeah it seems like it” I said with a laugh. We were almost at my house. 

“But if we do make it to friday…” Percy started. I looked at him and he stared right back. I felt my heart start beating 100 miles an hour. He opened his mouth to say something, but apparently thought against it because he closed his mouth and pulled up in front of my house. 

“Uh nevermind, sorry about that Wise Girl” He said quietly. I was obviously disappointed, but didn’t say anything. 

“Oh it’s um cool. Thanks for today and dropping me off. See you monday I guess” I said awkwardly as I stepped out of the car. 

“Bye Wise Girl” He said with a small smile. I closed the car door and walked into my house. Everyone was asleep so I showered quickly. I made my way to my room and fell asleep thinking of a certain Seaweed Brain.