Helen Is Kinda Sus

That night I went to my room and stared at the ceiling. I had pretended to be happy at the news. I told her I was tired and ran to my bedroom. In reality I couldn't tell whether I was happy or angry. 

On one hand, this opportunity could lead to my big break as an architect. A huge step closer to my dream. 

On the other hand, I had never asked for or wanted this. Whenever I had imagined they way I would become an architect, it had always been my way. I also didn't know what would happen if I left for Yale next year. I knew for a fact that me and Percy were meant to be together. 

No doubt my mom had written about surviving getting shot at a school shooting, enduring many deaths in one day and missing school because of a bullet wound, all while maintaining a straight A average for the application essay.

I had woken up the next morning extremely stressed. I decided to spend the day with Percy to see if it would make it easier to decide on going. He had shown up more excited than ever. He was practically beaming when I saw him. 

"A few more months and I have a baby sister!" Percy said, grinning widely. I had forgotten Sally was pregnant. I didn't know how far along she was, but I was just as excited as Percy was. 

Sally had treated me so much like a daughter in the short amount of time I had known her, and the thought of leaving that behind hurt me. I forced a smile on my face, as I had done for years, and walked to the car with Percy. When we got in he turned on Whole Lotta Love by Led Zeppelin and started singing. Just like that night on Montauk. 

We spent the day driving to different locations. First we went to the park and used the swings which seemed to annoy the little children. Then we went to an ice cream shop and got ice cream. We went to Dunkin Donuts to buy donuts and ate them in the car while telling jokes.

Lastly we went to the beach at Coney Island and walked along the beach making each other laugh. My favorite part was when we went on the rides. We went on the rollercoaster, then the ferris wheel, and that one ride where you're in a teapot and it's spinning really fast. 

We also did the little games and I won Percy a fish plushie. We took a bunch of pictures and it was the best day ever. Except for the decision that my mom was eager to know. The entire day I thought about bringing it up, but I didn't want to ruin it.

When Percy dropped me off at home with a kiss goodnight, I went into the house with my heart beating 100 miles per hour. The second I walked in my mom greeted me and took me to the couch in the living room. We sat down and she immediately asked the one question.

"So honey, what are you going to do?" She asked, eager to know. I went through everything I had gone through and everything that could happen. I loved Percy and the thought of this breaking us up terrified me. 

I remembered my friends. My new ones, my old ones, and the dead ones. I thought of how life would be if I did go to Yale. I didn't know if it would be easier. But even then, deep down, I knew my answer.

I took a deep breath after thinking this through. I looked up at my mom. I knew that this would change everything and she wouldn't let me change my decision. So before I lost my courage I answered.

"I'm doing it", I said, "I'm gonna go to Yale next year".