Finally Said It. Wasn't Even That Hard

“Wake up Seaweed Brain” I said as I nudged him. He didn't react or wake up. So I decided to have a little laugh. 

    “PERCY!!!” I yelled at him. He jumped in his chair and became alert, but still tired. He let go of my hand which kind of disappointed me, but I still laughed. He looked around startled, but his eyes met mine and he relaxed. I found that adorable. 

    “Oh it’s just you, Annabeth” He said as he held my hand again, and squeezed it. “How are you feeling, Wise Girl”. I laughed and squeezed his hand too. Then I realized he called me ‘Wise Girl’. I raised an eyebrow at this. 

    “Wise Girl? Where did that nickname come from Perce?” I said with a smile. 

    “I made it up when you were at my house. Remember? I saw you reading this book and came up with it. I was going to tell you, but then…” His voice faltered. I knew what he was talking about. He would've said it, if I hadn't opened my big mouth and ruined our friendship. I was scared of losing him so I panicked. Did I ever admit it? No, but I tried. Did I keep trying? No. In truth I was scared I would fight with him. I was scared I would say something that I didn't mean. I didn't want to lose him forever. Finally, I couldn't hold it in anymore. I had to tell him what I wanted to say that day. And I had every intention in doing so.

    “Percy about what happened that day. The kiss? I didn’t-” He cut me off. 

    “I know Annabeth, you didn’t mean it. It’s fine, I promise” He said quietly, letting go of my hand. 

    “No Percy. I wanted to kiss you. That kiss meant something to me. What I said after was a lie. I panicked because I thought I ruined everything, and I didn’t want to lose you. But I still did. I wanted to tell you. But I didn't want to argue with you. If I did, I would've said something that I didn't mean and it would've meant losing you forever. I can't live with that.” I thought I was going to cry right then and there, as Percy sat on my hospital bed. “And I made up a nickname too. It was ‘Seaweed Brain’ because you love the ocean and you can be an idiot at times.” We both chuckled at this. 

    “Ouch Wise Girl” He said as he dramatically put a hand on his heart. We laughed even more.

    “Well what I’m trying to say Seaweed Brain, is that I… well I-” He cut me off AGAIN. And I was about to finish my sentence. 

    “I love you Wise Girl” He said quietly, as he held and stared at my hand. My jaw practically dropped. Was I dreaming? I felt like I was dreaming. There is NO WAY that Percy Jackson, my Seaweed Brain, just said he loved me. Nope. Not possible. 

    “Huh?” I said dumbfoundedly. Smooth Annabeth. Real smooth. 

    “I love you. Always have.” He said looking at me with his gentle eyes. He started playing with my fingers and my heart practically melted down to my toes.

    “Me? You love me. Are you sure?” I asked, TOTALLY hiding my confusion and doubt. He looked at me again with a wide smile. He laughed at my question. 

    “Of course I do, Annabeth! Why wouldn’t I love you?” He said grinning. Seeing him happy immediately put a smile on my face. I was going to answer his question, but I thought against it. 

    “I love you too Seaweed Brain. Way more than you know.” I said. I started to sit up, but pain flared in my shoulder. I looked and it was bandaged.

    "They took the bullet out. Don't worry you're safe" He reassured me.

    Percy then helped me sit up. He moved closer to me. I put my hand on his cheek and he put his on my neck. He closed the distance between us. 

    It was long and gentle. I could’ve stayed like that forever. He pulled me closer to him as the kiss ended. I felt like something in my chest exploded. In an amazing way. I finally felt happy. After so long. 

          "I promise I'll never hurt you. Not as long as I'm alive. I love you" He whispered. He kissed my cheek and I let out a content sigh.

*RING RING RING*

“Oh yeah, I was going to give you your phone. Guess I forgot” Percy said while he played with my curls. He took my phone out of his pocket and held it out for me to take.

“Always a Seaweed Brain” I said with a laugh. I took my phone and saw who had called me. My phone started ringing again. It was the same person and my face fell. Percy must have noticed because he got worried. 

“Wise Girl who is it? Are you okay” He asked in a concerned tone. 

“It’s Rachel.” I said, looking up at him. His face darkened. 

          "Fuck" I muttered.