7. Running Late

Katie

I stand in the living room, admiring the view of downtown from the floor to ceiling windows. I didn't even notice where the building was when I came over last night - it's one of the nicest apartments downtown. 

"It's nice right? My parents helped us get this place," I hear a voice nearby say.

I turn around and see Jason by the front door, putting his shoes on and grabbing an umbrella.

"Where are you headed off to?" I ask. Am I being too nosy?

"I have a date," he grins.

"It's not raining," I point out, nodding towards his umbrella.

"It's to leave in my car. I lent my old one to someone and she never gave it back. You can never go wrong with having an umbrella during the fall anyways," he shrugs. 

"Good morning," I hear behind me, and Lincoln gives me a hug. I feel myself basically melt against him, as I lean against his chest.

"Hey," I smile, looking up at him. My phone suddenly rings.

"Hello?"

"Katie where are you?"

"Huh? At home?"

"We're all waiting for you in the library."

"Oh my God sorry, I completely forgot we were meeting today. I'll be there asap."

I hang up the phone, they look concerned at my panicked face.

"Sorry I have to go, I forgot I was meeting with my project group today," I say to Lincoln, and check my phone, "almost 30 minutes ago." Whoops.

"I can drive you," Jason says, "I'm headed to campus anyways."

"That'd be great, thanks," I nod, dashing back to Lincoln's room to get changed. In any other normal circumstance I would say no, but I don't have that luxury today.

__________________

The elevator chimes as we reach the parking lot. I follow Jason to the designated spot for their apartment.

He stops at his car. My eyes widen. I don't know a ton about cars, but I recognize this one. This was the dream car of an ex of mine, it costs a fortune.

"It was a gift from my parents," he chuckles, in response to my reaction. "Been considering trading it in for something new though."

"Oh I see," I say as we get in the car. I notice the doors project the logo of the car brand on the ground when they open. Kind of kitschy in my opinion.

Jason

I glance at the time on the dashboard. It looks like I'll be late to meet up with Diane, but she'll be fine.

"So um, do you have a girlfriend?" Katie asks.

I'm surprised that was the first thing to come out of her mouth since we got in the car. She doesn't seem like someone who would be that forward. I guess she had a point when she said the two of us barely know each other.

"No I don't, I decided I wanted to focus on academics this year," I lie. 

I went on a trip over the summer for two months, and broke up with my girlfriend before I left. I had some "fun" with a bunch of girls there, but wasn't willing to start a relationship with any of them. None of that "long distance" bullshit for me. I've been single since then, my recent dates haven't been going great lately.

"Ah I see, Lincoln made it sound like you're quite the player," she chuckles softly. That jerk.

"Hey it's not like he's so innocent either," I say defensively.

She shrugs and doesn't respond. There's a lot I want to tell her about him, but it doesn't seem like a good idea right now.

As we drive, it starts to rain, it gets heavier and heavier.

"Typical," I roll my eyes, "good thing I brought this umbrella." 

__________________

I park in the main lot and we walk towards the exit. We pause before stepping out, looking up at the pouring rain.

"Where are you headed?" I ask her.

"The library." 

"Oh, let me walk with you, that's pretty far from here and I have my umbrella," I offer. It's at least a 5 minute walk from here. The campus is huge and extremely lacking in covers for rain, which is pretty stupid in my opinion.

"No it's OK," she shakes her head, frowning a bit.

"Are you sure? Your outfit doesn't seem very waterproof," I point out, looking at her shoes. She's wearing suede boots.

She looks down at what she's wearing and sighs, "Alright sure, thanks."

I open my umbrella and we start walking. "You're defeating the purpose of the umbrella if you're so far away," I chuckle, noticing the large gap in between us.

"Oh, uh, right," she says awkwardly.

I reach around her shoulder and gently pull her closer. Her cheeks turn slightly pink and she looks at the ground. It's a silent walk.

We arrive at the library, and stand under the cover by the entrance. Even with the umbrella, the wind caused a lot of the rain to spray us.

I can't help but notice the rain has caused some parts of her shirt to get wet. I also can't help but notice the way it's causing her blouse to cling to her body in a way that makes it difficult for me to look away.

I'm not into her though, her appearance doesn't fit my type of girlfriends.

She clears her throat, "Thanks, I'm heading in now."

__________________

I enter the student union building, walking to where Diane told me she would be. I spot her easily, the platinum blonde hair often stands out in crowds.

She's wearing a long coat, but it's unbuttoned and I can see her outfit underneath. Thigh high boots, a short skirt, and a cropped sweater that shows most of her stomach.

That's more like it, I think to myself as I head towards her. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N:

Thank you for reading! :)