34. Truth

Katie

Ray reaches up and eases Stephanie back into her seat, stroking her back, "What she meant was, could you tell us what he told you?"

"He said Lincoln threw a party in freshman year that got him in trouble, but he used his connections at the university to get Lincoln out of trouble. Then last year he threw another party and nearly got expelled, but he used his connections to get the university to only kick him out of dorms."

"I can't believe him!" Stephanie shouts, starting to storm out of the room.

Ray gets up and quickly brings her back. "Steph, we have to handle this calmly."

"What's wrong?" I ask, confused.

"Both of those parties were thrown by Jason, not Lincoln," Ray begins. "His parents have been incredibly strict with him his whole life. They're planning for him to take over their company in the future, so their expectations are really high."

"So when he got a taste of freedom after starting university, he sort of went overboard with it," Tina sighs. "The university has strict rules for the freshman dorms, and he broke all the social-related ones by throwing a huge party."

"Lincoln knew how much trouble Jason would get in with his parents, so he took the blame for him," Ray continues, "and those 'connections' Jason talked about are his parents. They're alumni here and donate crazy amounts of money to the university every year."

"I'm sure that's how Jason was accepted to the university," Tina adds, rolling her eyes.

"So they threatened to stop donating unless they let Lincoln off the hook," Ray says. "His parents have always been fond of Lincoln and I after they found out we stopped his bullying, something the countless therapists they sent him to couldn't do."

"Then last year, he did the same thing. He invited a lot of under aged girls. I know it was him and not Lincoln, I'm actually two years younger than these guys, and I was one of the younger girls he invited," Stephanie says angrily.

"Again, Lincoln took the blame for Jason. The university drew the line there, and Jason's parents couldn't bribe his way back. The only compromise they were willing to make was to kick him out of dorms," and that's why we moved out with him.

"You guys are too nice for your own good," Stephanie rests her head against Ray's shoulder.

"But what about my birthday? I assume you heard what Lincoln did, right?" I ask them. They look at each other uncomfortably, and Stephanie speaks up first.

"About that..."

They explain to me how Jason was behind everything. How he threw the party. How he coerced Lincoln into joining. How he got Becky to stay over.

I sit there, in shock. The past 3 and a half months of my life have carried such a huge lie and I was an idiot to not realize it.

"We really wanted to tell you," Ray explains, "but Lincoln made us promise we wouldn't."

"I don't understand. Why would Lincoln do that?" I ask.

Stephanie has a twinkle in her eye. "You'll have to ask him yourself."

A nurse comes into the room. "Excuse me, is there a Tina Bell here?"

"Yes, that's me," Tina says.

"Your grandpa is ready to be discharged, he says you're the one who's taking him home," the nurse says.

Tina hits her forehead. "Oh shoot, I don't have my car with me."

"I'll drive you guys home," Ray says standing up.