17. Disappear

Katie

We walk into the store. I realize it's the same one I went to with Lincoln. I'm suddenly flooded with too many emotions, nostalgia, regret, hurt, and longing. What a depressing way to describe an ice cream shop.

The guy at the counter looks at the dog carrier Jason is holding and frowns. "Hey sorry but we don't allow pets in here."

"Can't we just keep her in the carrier? She's just a puppy and we didn't want to leave her alone in the car," Jason replies, slightly annoyed.

"Sorry but-" he suddenly turns and looks at me. He smiles, "Actually, yeah it's fine, my manager isn't here today."

Jason notices and frowns. I quickly take the carrier from him. "Here, let Belle pick."

He carries Belle so she can see inside the freezer, and reads the flavors to her. I stand to the side by the cash register. The guy walks over to me, and slightly leans over the counter. He has tousled light brown hair and light brown eyes, even in the terrible red striped uniform, he's attractive.

"That's a cute puppy. Is it yours? Or your...boyfriend's?" he slowly trails over the word boyfriend.

"Oh it's his little sister's new puppy. He's just a friend," I respond, and notice his smile gets slightly bigger.

"That's nice. I'm Chad by the way." He reaches his hand over the counter for a handshake.

I smile and shake his hand, it's warm and strong. "Katie."

Jason clears his throat next to us. "I'd like to order if you don't mind."

"Of course," Chad grins, grabbing a scoop as Belle tells him what she wants.

They come over to me, Belle is happily licking her ice cream. Jason still looks annoyed. I almost laugh at the extreme differences between their moods.

"That'll be three ninety five," Chad says, "how will you be paying?"

"Credit," Jason says, "Belle why don't you sit at one of those tables?"

She nods and walks over to a table and climbs onto a chair.

"Alright, one moment, let me refill the receipt paper," Chad says, picking up the card machine. "Hey Katie, could I get your number? Maybe we could hang out sometime."

I notice Jason's grip on his card tightens and posture stiffen. Is he jealous? I can't help but wonder if Chad is changing the paper to stall.

Chad is cute, and I don't want to be moping over Lincoln forever. I might have feelings for Jason, but it's not like he'd ever want to date me anyways. I think to myself, recalling his interactions with Emma earlier. "Sure," I smile, and he hands me a scrap of paper. I write my number and hand it back. I hope I don't regret that decision.

After Jason pays, we go and sit with Belle. She talks excitedly, at first about Glitter, but her topics branch out in every direction. For a four year old, she's actually very intelligent. I do my best to speak to her like she's a competent person, rather than in a patronizing way like most people with little kids.

Jason remains quiet, and excuses himself to the washroom.

"Are you my brother's girlfriend?" Belle asks me.

"Nope, I'm not," I shake my head, taking a napkin and wiping the melted ice cream that has dripped down to her elbow. Her hand that wasn't holding the ice cream is somehow sticky as well.

"Oh OK good," she responds happily.

I'm confused, "Why is it good?"

"Because, some of Jay Jay's girlfriends have been super nice. But then they always disappear and he never talks about them again, and I never get to see them anymore," she pouts sadly.

"They disappear?" I raise an eyebrow.

"Yeah! Jay Jay doesn't bring them over when he visits, it's always a new girl the next time," she exclaims. "I don't think they disappear for real though."

"What makes you say that?" I ask, hoping she finishes before Jason comes back.

"One time we saw Angela at the mall, after Jay Jay had a new girlfriend," she recalls, "I wanted to go say hi, but he said no and made us hide from her."

"Oh." I say sadly. I can't say I'm too surprised by this though.

"But this means you won't disappear!" she exclaims happily, "I like you."

My heart melts, much like the ice cream dripping down the sides of her cone, "Thanks Belle, I like you too."

Jason

I come back just in time to see Belle standing on her chair, reaching out to give Katie a big hug with her little arms. I can't help but smile a little. I've been protective of Belle since she was born. She's been acting very distant from girls I introduce her to lately, so I'm glad to see her happy with Katie.

I'm still a little annoyed about Katie giving her number to that guy though. I don't know why. I literally have a date with that cute girl from the animal shelter tonight. I just like having Katie around I guess. I take a deep breath and do my best to push away the feelings. I don't want to seem upset in front of Belle anyways.

I sit back down. Katie is wiping Belle's hands and mouth.

"Jay Jay, what's for dinner?" Belle asks.

Wait what? "Aren't I just dropping you off back at home?"

"No mommy and daddy have a big business meeting tonight. They told me to stay over with you," she says.

"What? Belle, why didn't you tell me earlier?" I ask, slightly frustrated, running my hand through my hair.

"I got too excited for the puppy and ice cream and forgot," she whispers, her face full of guilt.

I feel bad for snapping at her and pull her onto my lap, "It's OK Belle. Let me just call my friend to reschedule our dinner."

Katie looks like she's internally debating something. "I can watch Belle for you Jason, I babysat a lot of kids when I was in high school," she offers.

"Uh are you sure you want to?" I ask, looking at her slightly strained expression.

"Yeah. Belle is a lovely little girl," she says, taking her hand. Belle giggles.

That tugs at my heartstrings a bit, "Thanks Katie, I'm so lucky to have you in my life."

Katie looks at me and bites her lip.

Katie

Jason hands me his card and spare keys. I can't even begin to imagine how much money is on it. "In case there's anything you guys need."

"Alright, thanks," I say, setting them down on the end table.

"Bye you two," Jason says, bending down to give Belle a hug.

Did I really just offer to watch Belle so Jason could go on a date with someone else?

Jason shuts the door.

I guess I did. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N:

Belle melts my heart 😭 and someone seems jealous 😏

Thank you for reading! :)