24. Goodbye

Jason

"Any word from Katie?" Ray asks us, looking concerned. "It's not like her to be late without texting one of us."

I shake my head. "We can't wait much longer though, everyone's here."

"When's the last time anyone's seen her anyways?" Lincoln asks.

I feel a slight heat come to my face as I recall our little office rendezvous the last time I saw her two weeks ago. She hasn't spoken to me much lately - besides to respond to club related messages. "I ran into her yesterday in between classes actually," Ray recalls, "kinda weird how she suddenly stopped taking her lunch breaks with us in the office."

ASA's entire executive team is sitting in the common area for a meeting. It was difficult finding a time where all twenty five of them were free, so we can't reschedule it. We were supposed to start ten minutes ago, but Katie still hasn't shown up.

"I'll just take meeting minutes for now, hopefully she shows up," Lincoln says, taking out his laptop.

"Alright," I nod as we join the rest of the team out in the common area.

"Hey everyone, thanks for coming," I begin, standing in front of the team, "so for those of you who are new to the team this year, ASA hosts an annual internal Christmas dinner for its executive team. We've gathered you here to plan out logistics."

"Yup, first we need to decide on a date and location," Ray continues, "based on the poll I made, it seems like December 19th at 7 pm works best."

"Now let's talk about venues," Lincoln says, and we discuss possible choices.

The restaurant everyone agrees on is a nice choice. It's the tallest restaurant in the city, and has one of the nicest views of downtown. 

"We normally reserve part of the restaurant, so I'm gonna need a RSVP list soon. Everyone is allowed a plus one," I explain. "I've made a RSVP form online. Fill it asap."

"Any questions before we finish?" Lincoln asks.

The head of the academics department speaks up, "Where's Katie?"

Katie's been so kind and charismatic since she joined that she's become almost the entire team's favorite board member. I'll admit that the three of us are a bit critical with them, but she's always willing to listen and give support or constructive criticism towards everyone's ideas. I'm pretty sure they want her to be president next year.

"Katie's, uh.." I don't exactly want to tell them she just didn't show up without notice.

"I'm here. Sorry I'm late," Katie calls, quickly rushing around the corner. I notice her hair is a bit messy, and the buttoning on her shirt doesn't line up correctly.

"Hey no problem, we were just finishing up," Ray says, and catches her up on what we talked about. She nods and gives everyone a nervous look, biting her lip.

"Is everything alright?" I ask her.

She doesn't respond, and turns to Ray and Lincoln. "Do you mind if I speak to everyone?" They both look confused but nod wordlessly.

"Thanks," she says before she turns to face everyone, "Hey everyone, I just want to thank you all for being so amazing so far this year. I appreciate you all being so respectful of me, especially because I'm the youngest here." I have no idea where she's going with this, but based on her expression, it's nowhere good. Everyone looks concerned as well.

She stares at the floor for a bit and continues, "I've always been shy and was really nervous about starting university, but you've all become like a second family to me."

It's true, we're all really close and supportive of each other. We go out to eat and hang out all the time.

"So I'm really sad to say this but I've decided to step down from my position and quit ASA," she says softly. There are gasps and confused murmurs coming from everyone.

"A-alright meeting adjourned!" I quickly say, as the three of us grab Katie and scramble into the office, shutting the door behind us. I pull down the blinds to the window that separates our office from the hall outside.

We sit Katie onto the sofa. Lincoln sits next to her, while Ray and I sit on chairs across them. She just stares at her fingers on her lap. Lincoln and I both look at Ray expectantly. We know he's the best in situations like these.

"Katie? Do you feel alright?" he asks.

She nods.

"Why do you want to leave? I assume this wasn't an impulsive decision?" Lincoln asks while gently stroking her back.

I can't help but notice her lean closer towards him. "You're right, I've thought about this for a couple weeks now," she admits quietly, looking at Lincoln, "I just don't feel happy here anymore."

"Why not?" I ask. She turns to me but doesn't make eye contact.

"It's just everything that goes on in my mind when I'm here, they're intrusive thoughts. It's just from everything that's happened." She looks up and her eyes suddenly lock with mine. "The people here...I can't handle it anymore," she whispers with a look of pain and regret on her face.

She takes in a deep breath. "It's become really overwhelming. I just need some time to myself, away from the club, indefinitely. I hope you understand." She gives us a bleak look before standing up to leave.

Lincoln and Ray stand up as well. "Don't forget, we're still your friends," Lincoln says smiling and hugging her.

She smiles back. "Thanks."

"Can't get rid of us that easily," Ray chuckles and hugs her.

She giggles, "I wouldn't dare."

She turns and looks at me with a straight face. "Jason."

"Katie." I say, and she heads to the door. As she opens the door and walks through the doorway, I stop her. "Katie, wait." She stops and turns around. Before I can say anything, a familiar looking guy appears next to her. He puts his arm around her. It's the guy who was flirting with her from the ice cream shop.

"Almost done here babe?" he asks her quietly.

"Just about, can I meet you in the car?" she replies.

"Alright, no rush," he says smiling, and kisses her cheek before he leaves.

She looks at me expectantly. "Yes?"

I'm unable to form a sentence. I suddenly feel irrationally upset but try not let it show. "Never mind," I mumble.

She looks confused but nods and leaves.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N:

Sad chapter to write :(

Thank you for reading!