8. Rum and Coke

Jason

"Alright guys we want the tables over here!" I direct our committee members.

We're setting up for tonight's ASA back to school social. Ray is currently talking to the DJ, Lincoln is posting on our social media page, and Katie is setting up food and drinks.

"No, more to the left!" I call. They all groan and pick up their tables again.

Katie comes up to me. "All done. Drinks are in the coolers, snacks are on the tables, and the bartender has arrived."

"Thanks Katie," I gently touch her arm, before checking the things off on my list. She finished a lot earlier than I expected her to, but I guess I'm not complaining.

"I'm gonna head home and get changed first," she adds, gesturing towards her outfit, a sweater and leggings. "How do people dress at these things anyways?"

I hand her an iPad with pictures from last year.

Her eyes widen, "Jesus Christ, well alright I guess."

__________________

I'm standing by the entrance of the bar, collecting entry fees from people as they enter. Lincoln stands on the other side of the entrance, collecting tickets from people who paid ahead of time. I can hear the pounding music and people shouting inside.

"Holy shit," I mumble under my breath, as I see Katie approaching us.

Her normally straight hair has been curled, she's wearing a short and tight red dress, her makeup is heavier than usual, accentuating her light brown eyes, and is wearing heels.

She walks over to Lincoln. She whispers something into his ear, he laughs and kisses her cheek. I feel an uncomfortable tightness in my chest.

She manages to see me through the wave of people entering between us. She looks like she's starting to come over, but Lincoln says something to her. She nods and heads inside.

After the last couple of people are let inside, Lincoln comes over to me as I'm counting and locking up the cash box.

"Pretty great turnout eh?" he grins, looking inside.

"Yeah for sure. Do you mind taking this up to the office?" I ask, handing him the cash box.

"Sure, see you in a bit." He takes it and heads to the elevator.

I walk inside. It's dark besides the various spot lights and colored LED light strips we put around. The DJ is playing some EDM music, I don't know much about it, Ray handled all the music.

The bar is bustling, every stool is taken, but our favorite bartender seems to be handling things well. People who aren't on the dance floor are sitting in the booths socializing.

I look around, not seeing who I'm looking for.

"Hey Jason!" I hear a couple voices call simultaneously. I turn around, and see one of the booths occupied by five girls. I realize I recognize them, they're from the school's biggest sorority and go to all the parties.

I walk over, they all eagerly scoot over to make room in the booth. They end up being really nice, but also extremely flirty. I'm not complaining, they're all attractive as hell.

"Sorry to interrupt your fun but you have some presidential duties right now." I look to my side and see Lincoln grinning, with Katie standing next to him.

"Alright, see you later," I say to the girls as I get up. They all wave.

I hop onto the stage, as the DJ turns down the music and hands me a microphone. I give the usual speech the president does at these events, talking about ASA, thanking the committee, thanking people for coming, and plugging our social media.

I finish and leave the stage as the music starts up again. Ray is waiting on the side.

"Nice job man. How's your night been going?" he asks.

"Not bad." 

He laughs. "Seems like more than 'not bad', I saw you at that table with those sorority girls drooling over you. In fact, they're still looking at you now."

I turn and see the girls at the table across the room, who wave when they see me looking. "What can I say, the ladies love me."

Ray gives me a friendly punch on the arm. "Don't be so arrogant."

"Want to get a drink?" I ask him.

"Nah, I'm driving tonight. You can go ahead though, I'll drive you back if you need me to," he answers.

"Alright, thanks." I head towards the bar.

"Hey Tina," I greet our bartender and sit down, "rum and coke please."

She turns around and smiles. "Hey Jason, coming right up!"

"How's your night been?" I ask.

"ASA totally does the best events. I'm in engineering and our welcome back party was so tame," she rolls her eyes.

I chuckle, "You're welcome to come to any of our events Tina."

"Who's the new girl by the way? You have no idea how many drunk guys have been asking about her," Tina asks, gesturing to the side of the room.

I see Lincoln and Katie. He's leaning against the wall, his hands on her waist, holding her close to him. She's leaning into his chest, her hands playfully messing with his shirt. They're talking and laughing, it makes me uncomfortable.

"Oh, that's Katie, our new secretary," I try to sound casual.

Tina has a knowing smile on her face. "You're jealous aren't you? Wow, I can't remember the last time you were single for this long," she teases, rolling her eyes and handing me my drink.

"I don't have feelings for her," I frown. Tina and I have known each other since we were five and she's always loved to tease me.

"I wasn't saying you do, and that's the issue," she says, her face turning serious, "we both know what I'm talking about, and you can't do this again."

I scowl. "Enjoy the rest of your night," I say dryly, and head back to the table with the sorority girls.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N:

I wish I had gone to a university with a bar lol

Thanks for reading!