Chapter 8

Dylan POV

It's been a couple weeks since I last saw Jamie. The next day I returned to the same place along with Max to see Jamie again, just to realize he was gone.

As the conditions of the war worsened, people often moved from one place to another frequently. After returning and waiting for a couple of days, I finally gave up, realizing his family must have moved on to another place with him.

After that one night, I also stopped dreaming about that hazel eyes lass. It must have been the new environment that caused me to have such dreams.

For the past week or so, I've been trapped in my room, planning on strategies to win this war. As much as I wanted to be out there with my men, I knew that as their leader, I and to make plans for them.

"Sarge, if we get an insider to spy on them for us, don't you think we can be ahead of them. Almost all of their tactics include hiding and attacking. With insider knowledge, we can easily put an end to their action."

Although Kennedy's body's injured and he's out to rest, every once in a while he comes in to give me ideas.

"That is a good idea. I've been thinking of that, but only a few others along with myself and John are clarified enough to be undercover. The risk is great, so we will have to think of something else. Going undercover should be our last resort."

Being in the army for so long, I knew that there was only a slim chance that the undercover soldier will make it alive unharmed.

For the next hour or so we continued coming up with ideas. The door suddenly banged open and just as I was to pull the trigger, John appeared covered with dried blood.

"Are you alright? What happened John. Why the hell did you barge through the door like that."

"I was on my daily patrol and I ran into a young woman and boy. They seemed to be the victims of a bomb blast or land mine. I'm not sure yet, I've sent some men to figure it out. The women seemed unharmed for the most part, but the boy is deeply wounded, especially on his leg."

"Shit, are they cared for. Is he alright?"

"I brought them to the medical facility here. There were no hospitals nearby and I knew he had to get immediate treatment."

Despite the security risk of treating random strangers, I hesitantly nodded. They might be part or supporters of those terrorists, as we now call them or they can truly be innocent.

"Take me to them. Do me a favour Kennedy and get a background check on them. And John makes sure that a couple of men keep an eye on them, in case they are a threat. You seem like you stayed up all night. Take a nap and I'll see them at the medical wing myself."

As I say this, both of us exit the room and head in different directions.

Leah POV

I woke up to a movement beneath my head.

"Leah, Leah, wake up"

My eyes snapped open as I saw Jamie lying there with a bandage wrapped around his head and a missing leg.

"Hey, Jamie. How are you doing? Here let me get you some water."

As he greedily drank the water, he looked at me sadly with tears in my eyes.

"My leg is missing Leah. I won't be able to walk, run, or die a bike anymore. It's not fair."

As his voice cracks and tears pours out of his eyes I couldn't help but cry with him. I know I should be the adult here and be the strong one, but everything from the moment my family got shot down to Jamie lying here in this bed with a missing leg crashed down on me.

Wiping both our tears and gathering my will I began to say soothing and promising words to him.

"I know it's not fair and I'm so sorry, but at least you are alive now. If anything were to have happened to you, it would have killed me. Even if you don't have your leg, you are still the Jamie I know and love."

I'm surprised when Jamie engulfs me in a hug and soothes me instead.

"I'm sorry for being ungrateful. I didn't mean to pick it up. I remember you telling me to not touch anything, but it was shiny and I thought it was a weapon we can have for our defence. I didn't know. I'm sorry."

As guilt eats him up, I tell him to calm down and that everyone makes a mistake. Except this mistake could have cost our lives.

"I'm just glad we're ok."

Our sibling moment gets cut off by the door opening. Turning around I wiped my eyes and cleaned my face of tears.

"Jamie?"

"Dylan, it's you!"

"Hey buddy are you ok.  What happened out there?"

When the deep and rich voice on the other side of the room spoke to Jamie, I felt a sense of familiarity and security from it. I knew I heard of it somewhere, I just don't remember from where.

Deciding to turn around to see the mysterious individual who is having a conversation with my brother, as if they are best of friends, I come across a man towering over my five foot four height.

He wore the same green attire as the other men, except he adorned an extra medal. His muscles bulged out of his outfit. He had to be over six feet tall. His midnight black hair was short, but not too short. He seemed to be around his mid twenties.

"Who are you?"

Hearing my voice, he stops the conversation with Jamie and turns towards me. What I saw next couldn't have prepared me for anything else.

He has the same green eyes from my dream. There was the man who said those words of hope to me.

"I'll save you, I promise. You have to trust me I'll get both you and Jamie out of here. I love you always and forever."