Chapter 41

Leah POV

I woke up to a blinding light and a scorching pain. I heard the fast paced beeping noise and saw doctors surrounding me, telling me to push.

What were they telling me to push? The pain became unbearable and I let out a high pitched scream and on instinct I widened my legs and nearly did a sit up.

"That's it, Leah. Now you have to push. Come on!"

Listening to their words, I continued pushing until I felt a void in my body. I heard footsteps near me and I finally opened my eyes to see the smaller baby ever being cradled with an oxygen mask.

I felt an instinct to protect and love that baby, and somehow I knew it was mine. I saw some of the nurses retreating the room with the baby I just pushed out.

"No, burnt back the baby. What are you doing?"

A couple nurses grabbed me by my arm, before I saw the familiar face of John and Kennedy. They looked at me with a heartbreaking expression, before giving me a brief hug. A sense of familiarity engulfed me as I cried on the shoulder and calmed down.

"What's going on. Whose baby is that? How is it possible? Where am I? Where's Dylan?"

"Leah, breathe. That's your baby girl right there. You never lost Dylan and your child."

"How, the beating and assault, the baby was sure to not survive that."

A doctor I suspect, came and talked to me slowly, explaining everything.

"What you went through, no person should ever experience that. As a protective instinct, the position of the child led you to believe that you suffered a miscarriage.

It is quite uncommon, as a bump wouldn't be visible, but in your condition, it allowed the survival of the baby despite the horrid conditions.

I believe the last beating you endured, triggered an early labour, resulting in the birth of your daughter. She is premature, but in the right hands of my team, we'll do everything to ensure her survival."

As he said those words, I was utterly confused. The child made with the love of Dylan and I survived, but anything can happen to her, as she was born early.

"Where's Dylan, where are we?"

The doctor took that as a cue to leave before John started answering my questions.

"After that nearly deathly encounter, I saw the men try to dispose of your body, but I was able to rescue you. You were brought to a doctor immediately and most of your wounds were treated.

By the time we got to America, I saw how your stomach moved and a big bump started to form. I rushed you back to the hospital immediately, where my niece was born."

"Dylan? What about Dylan?"

Seeing the fallen expression on his face, I already knew of the answer, yet I had to confirm it. With John's silence, I felt like I was going crazy before he finally replied.

"It was the plan, to save you we must sacrifice him. We were hoping he'll escape too, or At least I'll save him, but luck wasn't on our side."

"How can he think that I can live my life without him?"

"Leah, you have to move on."

"How can I move on when the better half of me, my husband is being tortured to death. I saw what they did to me to lure him, imagine the fate he'll have?!"

"I know what it feels like to lose someone you love. My high school girlfriend died in a car crash by a drunk driver. I was driving the car, but some idiot was driving impaired. There isn't a day that I wish that I died instead of her, but I learned to move on."