Chapter 39

Dylan POV

"Look man, you have to leave."

"Do you see yourself? You're a mess Dylan. Come back with us."

I stopped my map looking and looked up at him with rage.

"You're crazy if you think I'm going to give up hope on finding her. I promised myself, her, and Jamie. I won't give up. I won't."

"It's been two months! If they kidnapped her, do you really think she would have survived this long. She's as good as dead Dylan."

Something snapped in me as I heard my best friend by his neck.

"Don't. Ever. Say. She. Died."

Coughing, John tried to get out of my hold, but his efforts were futile. Seeing his complexion decrease I let go of his arm and returned to focusing on searching for my pregnant wife.

"John, just go back to America away from this country."

"You're crazy if you think I'll leave you alone in this state. Leah is like a sister to me, so unless you quit then I won't."

"Jamie will need you."

"He has Ken back home for now."

Nodding my head we started analyzing the map in front of us again and the sheet of clues. It's been a bit over a month since this mission was called off and soldiers were ordered to be sent home. One by one, everyone soon left for their families except John and I.

The General tried to convince me my wife is as good as dead and to move on in America, but he's delusional if he thinks that I'll agree with that.

I know our love is too powerful to end just like that. I would have felt it, if she died because it's more painful than death itself.

There's not a single moment I don't think of her and her whereabouts. She's six months pregnant now, I'm sure glowing and showing her gorgeous pregnant bump. That is, if our baby is still alive.

"Shit, no."

I smash my fist on my desk as an image of her covered in blood consumes my thoughts. Her stomach cut open as a blob of flesh laid by her.

"Dylan, snap out of it. Come on, Romano."

I open my eyes and look to see I'm in my office as a frantic John, trying to calm me down. He gives me a cup of water which I greet him with until the last drop.

"I don't even know if she even had water to drink. You know pregnant women are supposed to drink much more water than when they're pregnant. They should eat more nutritiously too and be careful not to hurt themselves or the fetus."

"Dylan..."

"I know the chances of our child surviving is slim and it's all my fault. I couldn't even protect my wife, let alone save her when she's in danger."

"Dylan, you can't think like that. You gotta keep your head in the game. The possibilities of what happened to her are endless, but it should motivate you more to find her."

"I'm trying, but as each day passes a part of me dies even more. It's almost as if she vanished in thin air."

"You know there's a big possibility that she left this country."

"We checked everything in neighbouring countries and possible places. We should have at least gotten some clue of her whereabouts."

Something in my mind clicked as I ran over to my shelf and rummaged through, looking for a certain map. Finding the roll of apart, I unfolded it to see what I was exactly looking for.