Chapter 30

Leah POV

Dylan holds me by my waist as we walk towards Jamie's bedroom. I was beyond nervous and it felt like my heart was going to leap out of my chest and there was a whole butterfly garden in my stomach.

I prepared for this scenario in all my spare time and it always ended with Jamie looking disappointed and heartbroken. I nearly just looked up at my husband, who had a stoic expression on his face, as if he's going on a mission.

In a way we are going on a mission; persuading my younger brother of our departure from our family and this country.

The outcome can be anything; from him agreeing happily to leave this country, which is quite unlikely, as he will have to leave Max and Dylan. Then it can be a worst case scenario, which is him running away from us.

Just as Dylan gives me a reassuring look and knocks on the door, I try to swallow the bile that tried to escape my throat.

"Come in"

Hearing the happy voice of my younger brother, somehow made me feel worse.

"Maybe we should tell him another time. He seems happy right now, wouldn't want to spoil his mood."

"Leah, we're going and telling him now. It's better this way."

Knowing he's speaking nothin but the truth, I grip his arm, probably causing a lack of blood circulation but at the moment that was the least of my worries.

"Dylan, Leah! Hey guys."

"Hey, buddy."

Dylan nudged my arm lightly and I gave a nervous smile while saying hi to Jamie.

"Why does Leah look so weird? Is everything ok?"

Dylan gave me an expecting look, but I guess he realized I was in no position to spill the truth. I gave him a pleading look, and Dylan started explaining our plan.

"So, Jamie, Leah and I have something to tell you. In four months, both of you will be heading off to America, away from this war."

"What about you, Max, John, and Kennedy?"

"We left America and came here to help people like your sister and you escape this war and prevent any harm done to them. Until this war is over, we can't come back."

"Why couldn't we go before I got attached to all of you? Why did we have to wait?"

"Being the Warbride of a soldier, Leah can easily seek refuge in that country. Her being your legal guardian gives you access too."

"Leah?"

"Yes, Jamie?"

"Do you want to leave Dylan and move to another country."

I squatted down his height and cupped his cheek as tears streamed down both our faces.

"Of course not, but I know we both have a better opportunity out there. How long are we going to fight for peace and basic rights? I have hope that Dylan and the rest of the crew will return to us."

Jamie flung himself at me, as Dylan wrapped his arm around the both of us. It was a hug representing, love, hope, and heartbreak.

Jamie wipes his tears and snot and gives a wobbly smile.

"If Leah has hope, then I will too. We still have four months, until then I'll spend every moment with Max."

"Feeling the love, buddy."

Dylan sarcastically wiped his non-existent tears and held his head as if he's in pain.

"I'll spend time with you, John, and Ken too. Just more time with Max. Plus, Leah will want to spend every minute with you. Now that we're all free, can you talk about what America is like?"

Nodding his head we all get comfortable and lay in Jamie's tiny bed, somehow all three of us fitting on it and not breaking the bed.

"Well-"

Before Dylan can even continue his thought, I hear a creak coming from the bed and immediately push Dylan on the floor. He lands on his bottom with a thud and groan.

Jamie lets out a hysterical laugh, while I try to contain my laugh, while trying to look guilty.

"Leah, what was that for?!"

"The bed creaked. Clearly this tiny thing can't carry all of our weight, especially yours. I couldn't move myself and Jamie in time so I pushed you."

By the end of it I was laughing with tears as Dylan looked at me in pretense anger.

"Well, Mrs, Romano, you better watch your back."

"At least my back and ego isn't bruised, Mr. Romano."

He grumbles so incoherent words.

"Guys stop fighting like little children. Dylan, you said you will tell me what America is like."

"That was before your sister pushed me off the bed."

Knowing Dylan won't budge anything soon and my petty ego not allowing me to apologize, I gave an ultimatum.

"Well in that case, you can gladly lay with us on Jamie's bed, but if it breaks he'll be sleeping with us, on our bed."

I say the last three words slowly and immediately Dylan starts expressing his thoughts of America. I laugh quietly, as my husband flares playfully at me, while Jamie looks quite confused.

"Well, America is a big country with many people. I believe you guys will be going to live in Seattle, Washington."

With that Dylan starts stating his description of America and how different it is from this country. It sounds like a dream land and I can't wait till Dylan comes from war and we all peacefully live there as a family.

"You guys will be living in my apartment, which has three bedrooms. It should be good at the start, the you guys can move to a bigger house if you want."

I heard of these apartments. We had some before the war, and some even and ten floors.

"Well, my apartment is thirty and I live on the twenty eighth floor."

Both Jamie and my eyes widen like saucers at this fact.

"That's so cool. It's so high. I can see everything from up there."

"You're serious."

I squeak. Jamie and Dylan laugh at my expression.

"Is my wife scared of heights."

He stated it more as a fact then a question and I grumbled a no, despite him knowing I am lying. A blush takes over my face and this causes both nuts to laugh even more.

"Hey big sis, don't worry. I'll protect you from the height."

Jamie laughs at that statement, thinking it is the funniest joke he's ever said. I get off the bed and walk away grumbling.

"We're sorry, Leah."

Both boys say simultaneously. I turn around and hear a couple chuckles. I couldn't help the laugh that escaped me at the stupid boys that I love dearly.

My laugh stops in the middle when I notice the afternoon sun shining at the pendant on Jamie's necklace. More specially a jewel, his mother's jewel.

A thought entered my mind as I tried to dismiss it, but I knew that there was a possibility. Both boys and such similar looks, except for the colour of their eyes. Their personality at times was even identical.

If my hypothesis is right, then Dylan and Jamie might be related, possibly brothers.