Chapter 45

Leah POV

"Love, you have to understand, seeing you moving in and being happy for the first time, I didn't want to be the reason to hurt you anymore."

"Hurt me?!"

"You think you didn't hurt me when you are alive and thriving for so long, while letting me be worried sick. I wasn't given a choice, you forced me to move on."

"Leah, I didn't mean it to be like that."

Ridding myself of his hold, I stood up while accusingly pointed my finger at his chest. How dare he try to justify himself, while letting me be so miserable thinking he left this world.

"How the hell did you mean it? I had to move on for the sake of Jamie and- and our daughter. You didn't give me a choice whether to be with you or not."

"Leah-"

"No, you've done enough decision making for the both of us all these years. It's my time to talk and make the choices now.

You decided to rid yourself of the ones who love you more than the self. You think I was the only one who was miserable from your death!

Jamie was heartbroken, that the only family he had was dead. He didn't even get to spend enough time with you, as a brother, without you just leaving.

If John had been with you all this time, I'm sure you knew of your daughter. You didn't even care to show up as her father. Not for any of her milestones or just to acknowledge her.

Do you even know that her living healthy right now is a true miracle? I witnessed my daughter struggle to live with my own eyes when she was a newborn. I went through that and the loss of my husband at the same time. There were countless nights where I stayed awake, afraid she will stop breathing in her sleep and others when I envisioned the torture you must have endured because of me.

You made a promise to me on our wedding day; till death do us apart. Clearly you're not dead, yet you decided to leave me, leave us. For years, I cried of the nightmares, wondering how much they tortured you to death."

I looked at his face for any expression, just to see a lone tear rolling down his cheek towards his beard. His glasses still hid his eyes, where I wanted to see an ounce of the pain I felt.

He said nothing, and at that moment a thought occurred to me.

"It was not about trying to start over for me, rather than you. What was I thinking? Obviously, you wanted to start fresh, not with such a broken woman, who was tortured and raped by all those men."

"Leah."

Ignoring his call for me, I continued my thoughts as they escaped my mother without my permission.

"You're a big time businessman now, a millionaire even. Of course you would want to start fresh with a prettier woman with a normal past."

"Leah!"

At his loud booming voice, I flinched back slightly and stopped my rambling. Apologizing, I quickly walked towards the door, making an exit. I felt his hand grab my arm, as he turned me around to face him.

"You want to know the real reason why I didn't tell you of my survival. It's because I barely survived and I'm as good as a dead man."

He took off his glasses and dropped them on the ground as I looked at his face before taking a few steps back, in utter shock. Seeing my reaction, he hid half his face with his long hair.

On instinct, I used my fingers to tuck them behind his ear, as I traced my finger in the scar that ran through his eyebrows all the way down to his cheekbones.