Chapter 9

Dylan POV

"Who are you"

The female figure turned around and questioned. The first thing I noticed was her enchanting voice and then those hazel eyes. It was the same soothing voice and the same eyes that shone love and hopefulness from my dream.

I'll always love you. Please don't leave us. You have to promise me you'll come back to us. Please Dylan.

Despite being covered in dried blood, tears, and dirt I was awestruck by her beauty. Her tanned complexion signifies her hazel eyes which seemed like pools of honey. Her cute button nose and plump, pink lips enhanced her beauty. She seems to be around her early twenties.

Her body was draped in old rags that were both dirty and torn apart. Somehow she was different from all the other women I've been with. I never cared about them, yet with her I wanted to make her the happiest person ever.

When she saw me, her eyes held such strong emotions of shock and resemblance. What if she and the same dream that I had? The moment that thought entered my head I realized how crazy I sounded.

"Dylan, Leah are you guys ok."

Despite being a child, Jamie understood the change in tensions and emotions within the room between his sister and I.

Snapping out of her thoughts, the mysterious beauty replied,

"Yeah, I'm sorry. My name is Leah, I'm Jamie's sister."

She held her hand out, and as I shook it I replied,

"I'm Dylan. Sargent Dylan Romano. John, the soldier with you last night, informed me of your arrival."

"Thank you for your help. Truly, I'm forever grateful to you and your squad."

Despite being in such thought situations, her voice resembled her bravy, yet kindness.

"We would have aided anyone in your situation. Especially a kid like Jamie."

As Jamie smiles at my response he asks for Max. I immediately call one of the guarding soldiers and ask him to bring Max.

A couple minutes later the awkward tension is broken when Max enters the room, immediately brightening up to the sight of Jamie.

As the boy and dog spend their time playing, I decided to talk to Leah. It felt as if I was going to suffocate in the awkward tension we both felt. I decided it was better to leave the room, to prevent Jamie's mood from spoiling.

"Hey, Leah, come with me outside please. I'm going to need you to explain everything that happened yesterday. I know it must be tough to relive those moments, but we need to know the tactics of those terrorists if we're going to put an end to their atrocity."

"Terrorists?"

"It's what we've decided to call them. An army protects its people, not hurts them. Clearly some evil people have decided to take power. It would be disrespectful for all the other soldiers to describe these monsters as such."

"Oh. From yesterday's events. It's all quite blurry, but..."

From then she tells the events that occurred yesterday. As tears poor out of her eyes I vowed to always protect her and Jamie.

What was happening to me. I felt such strong emotions towards these two people I met today. Somehow they felt like family; something I've never felt before.

Towards the end, she breaks down crying, as I felt my own eyes watering. She clung onto my shoulder and cried as I engulfed her in a hug.

"Hey it's ok. Take a deep breath. Both you and Jamie are safe now. We will protect you guys. Shh."

I said in a calming manner. I was never good with people expressing emotions, but with her I couldn't stand her as she broke down.

"I'm sorry for crying like that. A lot has happened and it's still hard to process. I should get going."

As she stood to get up I grabbed her and as she hissed. I looked down and saw burns and cuts on her arm.

"Leah, your arm. We need to get that fixed. Did you not see that before?"

"I thought it was nothing. It's just a couple of burns and cuts. Jamie's wound and to be taken care of first."

"Your left forearm is covered in burns and cuts. It's not nothing. If you don't take care of yourself your going to get sick and who's going to take care of Jamie then. An injury like that can cause infections."

I unintentionally spoke loudly causing her to flinch.

"I'm sorry, I just thought it would be ok. I was worried about Jamie."

"No I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scream at you. If anything were to happen to you. I meant you don't want anything to happen to you. I know first aid, let me stitch and clean that up."

I instantly changed the topic and didn't want her to catch onto my stupidity. If I kept going, I probably would have declared my love to her.

We reached the medical wing seeing a sleeping Jamie with max guarding him. As soon as he heard the door opening, Max ran up to us.

I brought Leah to sit on the bed as a I grabbed the first aid kit.

"This might hurt a bit."

With that I gently applied the antiseptic on her wound. As she hisses from the pain, she grabs a fistful of the bed sheet.

"I'm done with the cleansing, but you would need a stitch in this cut. You might want to hold into the pillow for this."

As I finish the stitching and wrapping the bandage on her wounds, she finally exhales the breath she was holding.

"Well I'm done. It wasn't that bad right?"

"Thank you, Sargent Romano."

"No problem, but please call me Dylan"

"Well in that case, thank you Dylan"

As she said my name, I felt chills going through my body. My name never sounded more perfect than coming out of her mouth.

We stared at each other's eyes for what seemed to be an eternity, but just a few seconds in reality. The moment of peaceful during these war times was cut off by one of the soldiers

Our moment was interrupted by one of the soldiers guarding the medical wing calling for me.

"Sarge, the men who went patrolling for the day came back. I believe they need to inform you of their findings."

Giving her a nod, I stood up and departed towards the door. Just as the sort closes I turn toward her to see a breathtaking smile that she gave me.

Remembering the sight of her gorgeous smile , my mood lightens up, as I went back to do my work.