Chapter 12

Dylan POV

Leah; she consumed my thoughts. I woke up thinking about her and went to sleep thinking about her. Her eyes that were pools or honey and her voice that is hypnotic.

I knew the emotions I feel toward her are dangerous. Knowing that my I will spill my thoughts to her if I spent anymore time with her, I decided to avoid her.

I went to visit Jamie often and it was usually when Leah was either sleeping or working around the camp. Even though I avoided her, it didn't mean I never looked out for her.

From taking care of Jamie, to helping the chef cook, she has done it with either care or precision. I was truly in awe of her and I realized that I didn't deserve her.

She deserves a man that knows how to love someone and take care of a family. Someone who experienced the love of a family.

Angered by the image of her and another man, I punched one of the legs of my desk, just for a couple items on my desk to fall on the ground with a loud crash.

Wincing at the noise and scratch embedded in the surface of my arm, by one of the tools that fell from my desk, I huffed in relief realizing the crutches and prosthetic leg is fine.

Once the doctor confirmed that Jamie can leave the bed, I knew he would have to be in a wheelchair as knowing the prosthetics or crutches are not fit for a child.

For the next few weeks, I spent my time constructing a wooden stump as a temporary prosthetic and crutches.

The door to my office crashed open, as a frantic Leah looked around. Immediately being on alert I asked her,

"Leah, is everything alright? Why did you barge into here like that?"

"I thought I heard a noise in here. I just thought something happened. I'm sorry, I should go."

Blood rushed to her neck and cheek as a pink tint covered her tan skin. She was quite cute, being embarrassed and I thought to take advantage of that moment.

Before she could open the door and leave, I stopped her. I missed talking to her and seeing her blush. Clearly, she was charmed by my sculpted body. Deciding to tease her I flexed my muscles a bit as I questioned her.

"Aren't you going to check if I'm ok? Investigate the loud noise?"

"You seem ok. More than ok"

She snarky whispered. Thanking my good hearing, my ego grew as I heard her response.

"Well I'm not. See I got a cut."

I pointed to a small cut on my bicep. I could have easily cleaned up that tiny scratch, but I wanted to spend time with Leah. I wanted her to treat me with her gentle touches as she looks after the wounds of the other men.

"I'm sure you can take care of that yourself"

"I can, but as the assistant to the doctor and knowing first aid, isn't it your job to help the injured."

Scoffing she finally agreed. As she approached me and took my arm to inspect it, I smirked victoriously.

"Don't you have a shirt to put on."

I always took care of my body and was proud of my looks, but I've never been more contemptuous than when I knew it affected her.

"Ah, do my good looks bother you, love"

As I called her that term of endearment, I wanted to regret it, but I couldn't. It felt so natural, as if no other woman other than her is perfect for it.