Chapter Four - It Will Do

Two days came, and went—I was working harder than ever at Bob's trying to get a little extra money. I wanted to be able to look nice for the party, and with the money the handsome stranger Ryder gave me plus this weeks check (and additional tips), I finally had enough to make myself look presentable tomorrow.

"Nancy I'm so nervous." I said, my voice shaking.

"Nervous for what? Ooooh, look at this dress." She said, taking a small skimpy glittering red dress in her hands.

We had been out dress shopping all day, and I still couldn't find the right dress. The dress that would make everyone stare at me just from walking in. I also had absolutely no clue on what to do with my hair.

"No...that's not right either." I said, shaking my head.

"Geesh Carla, we've been to like...three stores. I get you want to look good, but girl—we have to find something soon. You're running out of time." She said, putting the dress back.

"I-I know, you're right. This is just harder than I expected. I don't know why I'm freaking out so much. I'm not normally like this."

Nancy looked at me suddenly, with such a serious look on her face—I thought she was going to tell me I had to move out or something.

"Carla...you don't...have feelings for him still—do you?"

I bit my lip.

Truthfully I had been wondering myself the past few days. Did I? I shouldn't, it would be absolutely wrong of me. He had a fiancé for crying out loud—and they would probably be happily married anytime soon. I can't come in the way of true love.

"No." I said, shaking my head.

"Good because...well you shouldn't. You saw how he treated you in college—you shouldn't make someone else feel the way he made you feel." Nancy said swallowing. "I only ask because...well normally this is how girls act with they have crushes on people.

"Well I don't. Now can you stop ta—"

Suddenly, the prettiest dress I'd seen all day popped into my peripheral. I snapped my head to look directly at it, and I was blown away.

It was on a mannequin, which made sense because it deserved to be displayed above the other dresses. I didn't even have to check the price to know it would be expensive but it was so beautiful. For starters, the bodice was detailed with extravagant golden flowers, sparkling embellishments and perfectly placed elegant sparkles. It had a collar that went up to the neck, but it was partly sheer so you couldn't really tell it was a full collar. It also had short sleeves, with a string of jewels flowing down so beautifully—I would think only a princess would wear something of that caliber.

Then, it immediately flared out from the bodice. It was champagne colored, and the bottom was so large I just knew someone could probably hide under it and get lost forever if they wanted too. There were some slight ruffles at the beginning of the flared bottom, then it flowed down to extremely intricate looking flowers and additional embellishments. The whole thing just sparkled, and I knew—it was perfect for me.

"That's the dress." I breathed, gripping my chest, trying to contain my excitement.

"Wow." Nancy replied. "That's one hell of a dress. You're going to look like Cinderella for real."

Nancy practically hunted down a sales worker, and apparently, she found the most snooty worker in the whole store.

"Oh sweetie...are you sure you want that dress?" The woman asked, with her arms crossed and her nose turned up.