Chapter Seven - That Bitch.

"Jeremy, let me talk to college girlfriend...alone." Katerina said suddenly, then dragged me onto the dance floor.

There was music playing softly in the background, but not like club or party music—something classical that you'd waltz to. I sighed, I knew the event was uppity but I didn't know by that much.

"So." She said, while glaring at me with those eyes. "I do know who you are. I remember you, from restaurant."

Her accent made her sentences choppy, and hard to understand, but I got that message loud and clear.

"You do?"

"Yes. I remember you and friend, staring at me, whispering like little mice. Then she put her hands on my waist, guiding me in some classical ballroom dance. "What's, plan hmm?" Expose me to Jeremy?

I put my arms on her shoulders, and slowly moved my feet to follow hers. Then I cleared my throat. "No, Katerina, I wouldn't do something like that. It's not my business."

"But how do I know, you don't use this against me? How I know you won't drive Jeremy away?" Then she made a ticking sound with her tongue. "Also, how I know you won't sell it to the press?"

I had only been around these elites for five minutes, and I was already making decisions about morally corrupt things. I mean, I knew Jeremys' new fiancé was cheating on him, and I wasn't going to say anything about it? If it was the other way around I'd want him to tell me.

"Ahh, see there's hesitation in your eyes." She said, staring at me more intensely then before. "How about I make you a deal?"

I immediately dropped my hands and stepped away from her. I needed space and air, I didn't know the right thing to do, but I definitely wouldn't figure it out with tempting deals floating around in my head.

"Look, I won't tell him." I said, backing away slowly. "It's fine I'll just—"

Then I bumped into a pretty, hard arm. I turned slowly, ready to apologize profusely and rapidly. But then, when I realized who was looking down at me, with his familiar green eyes and beautiful smile—my heart skipped a beat.

"Ryder?"

"Wait? Carla? What are you doing...here?"

"What do you mean?" I asked, tilting my head. "I was invited."

"Of course." He replied, nodding his head. "I see you wore the dress. It looks nice on you."

"Yeah, thanks again so much for this. I've been meaning to call you. It's just these past few days I've been preparing for this party."

"Ehh, I figured it's the least I could do for messing up your other dress."

"Oh you didn't mess it up." I replied, laughing.

"I'd say it was a...group effort." Then he winked, and playfully slugged my arm.

"I see you two have met!"

I glanced behind me, and watched as Jeremy and Katerina approached us. She held onto his hand tightly, watching me like a hawk. I discreetly turned my head and rolled my eyes—

now who was watching who?

"Yeah. I've known her for about a week and some change." Ryder added once they got close, then took a long sip from his drink.

"Yeah, we met at my diner." I continued.

"You own diner?" Katerina asked.

I sighed, then shook my head. "No, I meant at the diner I work in."