Chapter Twenty Six - Be Stealthy

Be stealthy.

Be quiet, and don't be seen.

That was the mantra I had been repeating for the past thirty minutes, because if I was seen—then the whole plan might fumble. I dressed as inconspicuously as I could, though I hoped my hair wasn't a dead giveaway.

I sat in one of the middle rows, just watching as Ryder strutted across the stage. He was showing off brand new products for his new company in front of "investors."

It seemed to be going just fine too. He showed off plenty of things like a washer machine, a dryer, a TV set (which was admittedly very nice), and tons of other electronics. He was basically becoming a direct rival with Jeremy, who made all things electronic.

My eyes started getting heavier and heavier, my head fell multiple times indicating I was very close to falling asleep.

Another hour passed, and he didn't stop. I was still so bored, sitting there with my legs crossed and my eyes wider now because I managed to slip out a few minutes earlier and find a coffee machine. It sure brought some energy back to my body; but that didn't make the presentation anymore interesting. I knew for a fact, this was not something that I could do on a regular basis—but then again this wasn't my career field so luckily I wouldn't have to.

Right when I thought the plan was going to be a bust, considering we hadn't seen Ryder or Sunni yet, I heard the large wooden doors creak open, in a way only old wooden doors could do. Me, and a few other of the onlookers glanced back, and there she was. Sunni was wearing a floor length silver gown, which was strapless and showcased her curves rather nicely. Her hair was styled up in a bun, slicked back with hair gel, and her makeup was also done—almost like she was going to some red carpet event.

I glanced at Ryder, excitement settling deep inside of me. He seemed to have the smallest smile on his lips too, but he tried not to show it. It honestly probably wasn't even that noticeable. I was just looking hard because—well he's my man and he's attractive—why would I not?

I sat there, almost squirming in my seat because I was so anxious. Sunni made her way to the stage, still with her head held high, and still taking her time with each step she took. I quickly took out my phone and texted Nancy, letting her know that "the eagle was in the nest," the code phrase we came up with to describe Sunni or Jeremy, two days ago at the Halloween party.

Once she got on the stage, she snatched the microphone away from Ryder. I was confused—where was Jeremy? I looked all around but didn't see him. What was she even doing anyway? Was this some sort of vicious preamble before Jeremy told everyone here their true plans? I sat impatiently in my chair, and waited for her to start speaking.

"Good morning ladies and gentlemen." She said, glancing around the room—her beauty immediately capturing the attention of everyone. "I have come to you all today, to reveal to you whom you would be investing in if you choose to invest in him."

The warehouse walls seemed to bounce Sunni's voice off the walls, creating a mysterious echo that only seemed to heighten everyone's senses. I kept my head low, as her gaze continued to sweep across the room.

"A long time ago, Ryder and I were together."

I raised my brows, this was so not what I was expecting. The hell was she doing?! And where is Jeremy? I texted Nancy again, from her secured spot back stage to be careful and to keep an eye out for Jeremy. She simply sent back a thumbs up, causing my anxiety to just sky-rocket even more.

While Sunni was standing up there, she looked so evil. She literally looked like some villain created by Disney. She had the beauty of all the evil stepmothers, and the evil intent of all the wicked witches; just being here literally made me feel like I was in some kind of movie, waiting for her to strike against us innocents in the crowd.