Chapter Eight - That...Static Electricity

Suddenly, Jeremy's head snapped up, and he looked right at me.

"Dance with me." He said, while standing and holding out his hand.

"Hey? You trying to take my date?" Ryder asked with furrowed brows.

"I'm your date?" I questioned, looking at him with wide eyes.

"It sure feels like that doesn't it?" He replied.

Before I could respond, Jeremy continued. "Come on Carls, for old times sake..."

I inhaled deeply, standing too, while watching him. I could feel the way my stomach was churning because of the impending physical contact, and I could also feel my heart beating faster then it has in a long time. Then, shakily, I place my hand in his. It felt literally—electric.

I jerked my hand away quickly, causing him to look at me with a confused expression. "What's wrong?" He asked.

"Sorry, I think you shocked me."

"Oh...there's that...static electricity for you..." He replied awkwardly.

I smiled politely, and we walked onto the dance floor without touching each other.

It just seemed safer.

We stared at each other for a long time, both of us had these unreadable looks on our faces. I surely couldn't tell what he was thinking, as his head was pointed down at me—and he was watching me with those big eyes. His eyebrows were pulled together, close to frowning, but not quite.

I continued staring at him, then I started moving my body to the fast paced song.

I twirled around, letting my hair fly around me. When I was facing him again, his expression seemed to...darken?

"Are you okay?" I asked, slowing down my dancing.

He moved his body too, but I wouldn't call it dancing.

More like a stiff two step.

"I'm fine." He replied. "It's just...I can't remember why we broke up." He sighed.

Was he kidding?

I couldn't tell.

"We broke up...because you cheated on me with one of my best college friends?" I raised my brow, quizzically. "How can you not...remember that?"

"Oh right." He scratched the back of his neck, shifting his body so he wasn't facing me directly—but never stopping his little two step dance.

Then I heard him whisper something, but it was too quiet for me to hear what he actually said.

"Huh?" I asked. Then, I placed my hands on his shoulders and softly readjusted his body so that he was facing me again.

Once I removed my hands, he cleared his throat.

"It's just...I don't know. It seems like we broke up for no reason. Like, I totally get you wanting to leave me..."

"As you should." I replied, then crossed my arms.

We weren't even dancing anymore, we just stood in the middle of the dance floor, watching each other and talking, cautiously.

As if, every word we said could create some major storm. And it made sense, because at one point in time we were very, passionate, and toxic, and just—

pure fire.

Which meant, we had lots of screaming matches.

We were both, clearly trying to avoid that tonight. But I'm sure it could come back just as easily as riding a bike. This man knew exactly how to push my buttons, like no man ever before.