Chapter Five - Carla Frickin Donovan

When I woke up the next morning, my head was throbbing.

Sammy was still sleeping next to me. His eyes were closed, and he was laying on his back as his paws gently twitched every moment or so. He must've been having an interesting dreamed. I giggled.

I glanced over at Nancy's bed--

it was empty and still made, which meant she must not have slept in it last night.

Which was good for me, because maybe I could avoid telling her about last nights fiasco.

Last night was probably one of the most embarrassing nights of my life. Sure, I got to drink one of the best tasting wines I ever had—I could still remember the smooth finished wine sliding down my throat with each risky swallow.

I should have made myself stop, but honestly being alone, with Ryder made me so nervous. Not to mention my nerves already have been at an all time high lately, because of this damn party I have to go to.

I  crawled out of bed, and immediately started walking to the shower. Sammy was up, almost as soon as my feet hit the floor. He looked at me, with his big wide brown eyes, titling his little furry head to the side.

"What?" I asked him.

Sure, it may be a little pathetic to talk to your dog, but he was the only one who couldn't talk back and spew his judgments about last nights mistakes left and right. He barked loudly, then jumped off the particularly high bed, then continued jumping up on my legs. I caught him mid jump and snuggled him against my chest.

"Oh Sammy, I'm so glad you can't talk." I whispered.

"Oh no, are you talking to the dog again?"

Nancy came into the room, her appearance was just as disheveled as mine, with morning bed hair and a clearly inside out dress, she obviously didn't have any time to get ready this morning either.

"What are you doing here? I thought you have work today."

"Nope, I took this Friday off last week, remember? And I'm glad I did, because you only talk to Sammy whenever you did something." She went to sit on the edge of my bed, then put both her hands on it and leaned back. "Now spill, what happened last night? And don't tell me you actually watched vampires all night..."

I went to sit next to her, gently putting Sammy down on the floor. "Well...not exactly..." I said, pushing the hair that was falling into my face behind my ear.

"So..." She continued.

"Ugh." I groaned. "Fine, okay. I saw Ryder last night..."

"You mean that hot guy from the diner who you were too scared to call?"

"Yes, that would be the one. I called him, and he ended up coming ov—"

"And you slept with him?! You dirty whore, I knew it." Nancy replied, smirking. "Well, I'll be damned, the one night I choose to go out, you get a fine piece of ass to come over."

"Nancy! We didn't sleep together. I was talking to Sammy because...well last night was embarrassing for me, and I doubt Ryder will ever want to see me again." I said, then fell back against the bed releasing a huge huff."

"What did you do Carls?" She asked, this time her voice held an uncharacteristic genuine concern to it.

"I got drunk. Really drunk. I'm pretty sure I spilled wine all over my dress too...so I don't even think I'm going to the party."

"Goodness Carla!" Nancy said, then stood up and threw her hands in the air dramatically. "How did you manage to pull that one off?"

"Because...I'm pretty sure I went to try the dress on for him, and when I came back out he tried to take my wine because I was...super drunk, but I wouldn't let him so...it spilled everywhere."